Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Without Rights, a Minority Left Out

Now that I have listened to talk radio for a few months, I'm getting to hear all the complaints that any individual or group of people feel entitled to air. And, frankly, I now think 4 1/2 months of talk radio is just about my limit, regardless of the political leaning of the host. All of talk radio has something in common, regardless of politics, race, or religion, and that is, the never ending sound of something to be "up in arms" about! Well, let me tell you, there is one topic, I haven't heard about and I'm going to voice it, because as you have probably noticed in all issues, when it's personal, everybody needs to hear about it, and these individual issues always cross partisan lines.
Republican Nancy Reagan wants stem cell research, maybe because Mr. Reagan suffered from Alzheimer's. Republican James Brady wants gun control, probably because he was shot in the head. George Bush doesn't really mind illegal immigrants, could that be, because his sister-in-law is from Mexico? Al Sharpton, a man that espouses equal opportunity, doesn't mind if the rappers use the 'n' word or the word "ho" and Don Imus cannot because he is white. So much for equal opportunity. Everyone has their voice to stand up about something. Well, let me tell you, as a left handed person, we are a much overlooked and capable minority that frequently operates with a disregarded disadvantage.
Yesterday, when we purchased a digital camcorder, we realized very quickly that it was built to accomodate a right handed individual. The handle, the "joystick control," everything is managed from a right handed perspective. When my husband asked if they had a left handed model for his wife, the clerk merely laughed. So, we lefties are free game to be disadvantaged and made sport of. Well, unlike the girls at Rutger, in my moment of pure grace, I just commented that I now had my blog topic. I do not feel that the young man was being mean, I don't believe my husband was making fun of left handed people, and I have already managed to operate the camera with the same level of inefficiency that I operate any other camera, and that's my point. Why, do we choose to make issues? Can't we just realize that people take things personally, and therefore try to be considerate, but by that same token . . . can't people just realize that sometimes somebody says something before they think? I really don't expect the world to see things according to my convenience, any more than Nancy will get the republicans to agree with the democrats, or James Brady will get the blessing of the NRA. But I realized, I really don't need talk radio to keep pressing every hot button issue to tell me, there are a great number of people walking around waiting to push buttons or feel pushed. And I think, as everyone demands their rights, I'd just as soon be left out.
Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss.

No comments:

Blog Archive