Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Maybe Divisive, But Direct and Genuine

I happen to be one of several Americans that has the signature of Jerry Falwell on my diploma. Surprised? What, about the diploma or the signature? I chose his teachings for one very important reason. That man really lived by what he believed. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, but when someone is as direct as he was, it inspires those around him to know where they stand. I suppose I could give a list of Scriptures stating why I do not share his fundamental Baptist theology, but that's not the point of the blog, today. My point is, I think Jerry Falwell was different than most of the other big time preachers these days. He really never seemed concerned with the possible repercussions of his comments. The man didn't have a politically correct bone in his body! And he made no bones about fund raising. He had a lot of expensive projects going on, and from every indication, he used the funds to continue to expand his agenda. News articles that I've read even mention that Billy Graham admonished him regarding political sermons. Well, perhaps Rev. Falwell wasn't as concerned as Dr. Graham was about those invitations to the White House. Jerry Falwell had an agenda, no doubt. He wanted to have a religious impact on American politics. As a woman, I thought his views of feminism were folksy and really a bit comical, but then his religion doesn't believe in women preachers, either. Scripture does clearly state that pastors, elders, and deacons were to be men, but the other offices and calls of ministry are not gender specific. Ok, so there's one reason, I'm not a fundamental Baptist. I assure you, there ar many more, but back to Rev. Falwell. I have to say, even though I disagree with his beliefs, he influenced me. I'm sitting here everyday, writing about politics and the misguided direction of America, citing Scripture at the close of every blog. So in my own little way, I'm also doing what Rev. Falwell, did. As a matter of fact, I even wrote to him concerning his remarks about G~d's judgment on 9/11, because I also believe it was a wake-up call from G~d, but for different reasons. I informed Rev. Falwell that Scripture says G~d doesn't punish one person for another's sins, so his accusations were off based. I was thinking when he made his statement. If this was about gays and lesbians, why the the WTC in NY? Wasn't San Francisco much more progressive in that particular lifestyle and what about the states seeking to recognize same sex unions? Why not there? And if it was judgment for abortion, why not a Planned Parenthood building or the clinic in Wichita? I do believe that Rev. Falwell was correct in calling 9/11, G~d's judgment, especially when we do consider what was struck. The WTC was hit, the building containing Pentagon records came down that afternoon for "reasons of safety and stabilizing." Wall Street closed. The Stock Market plummeted. The airlines merged or failed, and the list goes on and on and on. And I can give Scripture citing the reason for the judgment.
For the love of money is the root of all evil: . . . I Timothy 6: 10

No comments:

Blog Archive