Thursday, May 10, 2007

Politics, Religion, Rights, and Beliefs

I'm already listening and I think already tiring of listening to the dance of doublespeak when it comes to politics, religion, rights, and beliefs. I want to do something today, that I was very hesitant to do, simply because, from all appearances, this man just loves to be the subject matter. I really didn't want to indulge him, but this time he's earned the right to be the topic. Al Sharpton put his foot in his mouth and he's spinning his way out of the limelight, or trying to. I just think, the man has worked too many years to be in the limelight, to allow the stage to be dimmed this early. He was debating an atheist before a "sold out crowd" at the time his "unfortunate" statement was made and taken out of context! Don't you just love it? I mean it wasn't a month ago, this guy was going to move heaven and earth to destroy the life and career of a man that said something stupid and apologized for doing so, which so far, is more than Al has done. I do have a personal problem with Al Sharpton. I think he's a small minded bigot, just like the people he's supposedly fighting against, but that's just my opinion. I think he has done a great deal to bring back segregated ideas. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. wasn't always in somebody's face about things, he was peaceful and he was trying to make sure everyone had an equal opportunity. But Dr. King also seemed to know that not everyone would do the same thing with an opportunity. Al just keeps stirring things up and making everything a racial issue, until now. Now, hypocrisy is the issue and I think it's about time. This guy just has way too much microphone time for someone that has nothing to say. Why has it been all right for young black men to use terms that old white guys get fired for? Who is going to have more influence on the outlook of young black people, or young people at all, race not withstanding? Why has it been acceptable for an entire generation of people to listen to those words that are in fact derogatory? But it wasn't wrong until some old white guy said it? Who do you think has a greater influence on the self esteem of young black people, Don Imus or Snoop Dogg? Who do you think more young people have heard of, period, Snoop Dogg or Don? So, Al, while you are debating atheists, and taking offense every chance there might be a photo op, just what is it to "really believe in G~d?" You know, for those of us who don't believe in G~d the way you do? I know I don't, because there is no issue greater than G~d and when given the opportunity to be heard, be it by microphone or blog, I want Him to be the focus, not me, and not the color of my skin. As influential as Al Sharpton would like to think he is, wouldn't it be nice if he could influence the young people that are supposedly looking up to him, to quit buying music, the same way he got sponsors to pull out of the Imus show? And wouldn't it be nice, if he could truly influence the world to see G~d, the way he persuaded Procter and Gamble to see his view? Although I don't agree with Mr. Romney's response that his religious beliefs will not have bearing on his politics, because I think everyone's beliefs should influence every aspect of their life. And I do think our beliefs have a spiritual base. I know, from everything that I have heard Al Sharpton say, I can say most assuredly that I don't believe in G~d the way he does.
. . . for YHVH seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but YHVH looketh on the heart.

No comments:

Blog Archive