Friday, March 16, 2007

G~D and Country, Patriotism and All That Jazz . . .

I've seen signs that read: "God bless America," and I've seen signs that read: "America bless God." But I have never heard such blatant disrespectful celebration in the face of G~d, as when I heard about my grandchildren's school program, and it's subtle, just like the crafty serpent in the Garden of Eden. My grandchildren are participating in a program or pageant of Patriotism. I am not saying we shouldn't love our country or teach our children to, but we need to stop when it crosses the line and becomes idolatry, which is what this timing indicates. This is the last day of school for a week of spring break. As most anyone can see on the calendar, it isn't yet spring and this break time allows a total disregard of Passover or the Crucifixion. The only month they attend without vacation days is April. The Resurrection was on a Sunday, and for now, that isn't an issue. So, have we replaced Biblical observance with Yankee Doodle? And all the while, not expecting calamity of Biblical proportion? . . . Now, I have never seen the connection with rabbits, colored eggs and The Resurrection of Messiah, so I'm not defending or suggesting that we honor a pagan tradition, but if anybody does holler about this, it will be the pagans. It sure won't be the American religious, as they're too busy hollering about what they don't believe in. I don't understand why the Jews and the Christians have chosen to just sit down and be quiet about the omission of the observance of Passover or the Crucifixion. Actually, Passover and/or the Crucifixion are fundamental in both religions and according to Scripture, one in the same day. I wasn't going to say much about this, since we live too far away to attend the program, until my daughter informed me that she was glad I wasn't going to protest in person, as they were just kids and didn't understand what they were doing. Well, what better time to teach them the truth? With all this patriotism, I noticed a big red flag! This was geared to grandparents, and it was requested, although not required, more subtlty, that the children wear something red, white and blue, so . . . that means all the hard working, two income households, or even worse, the hard working single parents felt the peer pressure to go buy an outfit just for this occasion. What a lovely way to give the economy just a little shot in the arm! I guess the magnetic bumper sticker sales have dropped. Now, these hard working young families in their twenties and thirties are going out and spending money they don't have so the grandparents who are collecting money they don't earn, can beam proudly as their little descendants demonstrate their unquestioning loyalty for yet another generation. Just when I thought I had heard enough, there was more. Seems Wal-Mart is carrying a huge inventory of red, white, and blue, country style clothing this spring. Usually the red, white and blue comes out for the 4th of July and this time of year, the stores are all filled with fluffy pastels and adorable suits for little boys . . . ah, but that was a time when religious holidays, regardless of truth vs. tradition, was regarded with more value in our society than blind, loyal furor, economic acquisition, and time to be idle.
Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto G~d the things that are G~d's.

No comments:

Blog Archive