Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Patriotism?

The word patriotism is really getting a workout these days and the definitions are so varying. And I realize I am beginning to sound as negative about what is going on in America ,as Rush L. did through the Clinton years. Only, he made a lot more money at it. And I don't want to sound negative, I wish I could be encouraging, but we need to get on the right path for that. I realize the Repentance Party wouldn't get many votes, but the Golden Rule Party should seem somewhat appealing. What are we to do, now that patriotism; also is in the eye of the beholder, but mostly in the definition of the most powerful mouth? I really don't want to sound like the radio guys, but they do have one thing going for them, they can really promote political propaganda, and I don't. While I am trying to introduce this concept of: Hey, we need to question this! Hey, we really need to question this! Well, while I am proposing questions of preponderance, the right marches on! How did the republican party get to be the patriotic party? How did the other American political party get reduced to problematic? And the small formerly third parties are smaller and closer to former every day. How is it that while Rush Limbaugh degraded every step President Clinton took, he was perceived to be a patriot? And how is it that those that do not applaud every step President Bush takes, are questionable and possibly even anti-American? I thought patriotism was love of country, which may lean a little too much toward idolatry for me anyway. I looked up the meaning of patriotism. It is love of contry and willingness to sacrifice for it. Well, I pray for this country and it's leaders and pay some amazing taxes and I am not in the age group to collect Social Security, so by definition, even though I am not a republican, I am in fact a patriot! And, I am praying for our country and it's leaders regardless of who is the President. I truly try to be loyal to our country, but when something is wrong and an entire nation is being led against the Bible, I have to say something. I was embarrassed when I was overseas and the news reported about America and our leaders from a non-sheltering perspective. Other countries were certainly not bashing our nation, but just telling the news without a bias or just showing the behavior of our leaders, and it wasn't pretty. I don't like it when America looks so petty and rude around the world, and often we do, but I am an American and I try very hard to not be disloyal to any leader, but I do feel I have the right to disagree, at least for now, I feel that I have the right to disagree and voice it. I do love our country. I wish our generation wasn't still trying to struggle through the legacy left for us, and we were leaving a better America for our grandchildren than we were given. I do want that, but honestly I don't see it happening. I was absolutely ashamed in 1993, when a political promoter was hired to present a nightly TV program to abase Bill Clinton's presidency. The show began the same way Ted Kopel introduced Nightline through the Iranian hostage siutation. And that political promoter is still called a patriot by his faithful listeners. There are people who do love our country and really do want it to be a better place for their children and grandchildren and are willing to make the sacrifice. Wouldn't it be nice if the leaders were so willing?
In the spring, at the time when kings go off to war . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive