Friday, August 31, 2012

The Example of Isaac

As I kept typing and deleting, I realized there is just no good title for this blog, so I'll include a current event to make my point. The party vitriol has now moved to facebook and I just want to stand up and shout! We are Americans, all of us arguing or slamming or name-calling or bowing out. We are all Americans. How can we take such delight in being so horribly rude to each other? Especially in the name of values and tolerance? To be completely honest, my voice is not based upon participating in the election cycle, but rather by the Bill of Rights. Sometimes it's hard to remember that! We've all heard, "if you don't vote, you can't complain." I don't want to complain, about politics, I want to point out how hateful we have gotten with each other and I truly want to do something about it. I think there is prejudice on both sides of the aisle and I think American animosity is at a fever pitch. What happened to us that we enjoy having become so hateful? Why do so many choose to focus on their hatred of other Americans and their ideals? What in the world has happened to us? It's like we're gearing up for another Civil War and excited about it! Only it's not the blue and the grey, it's the blue and the red! There is undoubtedly a double standard between the primary parties and this week has provided the perfect example. Remember 7 years ago when Katrina hit New Orleans and President Bush didn't get there for three days? Remember the outrage at his "slow" response from the left side of the aisle? Well, Candidate Romney is there today, and obviously this is political compassion because he has no power to do anything, but he's there. In the same article I read that President Obama will be cancelling plans in Cleveland, Monday to go to Louisiana then. So, even though the left side of the aisle was outraged at President Bush for taking three days to get there, I've heard no outrage or outcry from these same people in regard to the fact President Obama will be getting there five days after Isaac made landfall. The reality is, a sitting President probably isn't really a part of the rescue plan at all, but I do find it odd that the double standard is upheld between the parties. I find it sad that the citizens a.k.a. constituents have allowed politics to come between ourselves, our neighbors, even family members. Does anyone really think the Washington politicians care about we the people, one way or the other? I, personally, do not. What I think, is the Washington politicians are professional politicians and they will do whatever it takes to maintain their aristocracy. Keep in mind, their perks and benefits are for life, so issues and resolution are really not the main issue. Power and prestige is the issue and in that, we the people continue to decline as a civil society.
The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. Ecclesiastes of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive