Thursday, February 03, 2011

Egypt and Gasoline

Not to minimize the things going on in Egypt right now, because it does appear to be growing worse by the day. Oddly, I've taken note of a few bits of information and the chronology in which they unfold. Over a week ago we read that protesters had gathered in what I believe is referred to as Liberty Square . . . The protesters were those speaking out against the current leader that has been at the helm for about 30 years. If it isn't a dictatorship, there are clearly no term limits. The protesters were peaceful but large in number. Now before Mubarak announced that he would not seek re-election, all the internet service was shut down or rerouted. I believe, also for a brief time, the phone service was interrupted. That, we know was not the work of the anti-administration protesters. Now, I've found it highly suspect that suddenly American conservatism feels strongly favorable toward Mubarak. Oh, I know Egypt has been an ally, I think that came about in agreement for the gift of the Suez Canal, which will come up again later in the blog. Now, once Mubarak announced he wouldn't run next September, the protesters didn't find that acceptable, and you know, I wondered why he ever thought they would. I don't know how free the people of Egypt truly live, but I'm guessing it would be a little frightening to be a protester going home with the same government for another 9 months. I think I'd wonder if there wasn't just going to be a big round-up of dissidents. Then came the anti-protesters in favor of Mubarak and now we have violence. That tells me those in protest of Mubarak just may have something to say and might have good cause for having gathered. I don't know, I'm not there, just sayin' . . . So now that there's violence and blood shed, Egypt gets their internet and phone service back. Interesting exchange, but the violence continues, and of course the US is putting the pressure on. Now, as to why I included gasoline in the title. The conservative radio listeners are being led to believe that the problems in Egypt are affecting the price of gasoline and the Suez Canal will not be open for business to oil tankers, therefore they have to go around South America to get here, thus raising the price of gasoline. Well, the price of gasoline hit over $3.00 a gallon before Egypt erupted. And I remember hearing the economic prognostications for 2011 included $4.00 a gallon gasoline and probably $5.00 a gallon by 2012. I just can't help but wonder. Which came first, the idea to raise the cost of fuel or the reason for the increase of the cost of fuel. If Egypt's the reason, then I'd say the Oil Companies got ahead of themselves. I'm guessing this situation in Egypt will become Carte Blanche for the Oil Companies.
And of Asher he said, Let Asher be blessed with children; let him be acceptable to his brethren, and let him dip his foot in oil. Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive