Friday, September 21, 2007

The Talk Doesn't Match The Information

It's been awhile since I've talked about talk radio, so it's time. I'm going to make this short today, as Yom Kippur begins an hour before sunset and I am not yet prepared, so here's what I have to say about what talk radio is talking about.
I listened to Dr. Bill's interview this morning with a man that was his speech writer when Dr. Bill was Education Secretary for President Reagan. First it was fun to listen to the "alumni" list and realize how many of them are still in republican politics today, only they have higher positions. It was as if, many of them just took an eight year break to go into the corporate world, then right back to power in Washington. Anyway, these two gentlemen began discussing the breakdown of the American family, yet the "crime rate has declined." They determined that the crime rate has possibly declined because there are so many more people in prison. I was wondering if they read the same headlines I do. But then, I realized, our government is fighting crime by pre-emptive arrests. You know, they can now prevent crime by arresting for intent. So, I keep reading all the arrest headlines, but there's less crime. So, our brilliant, powerful government is just arresting and imprisoning people to prevent crime?
Next through the news I got to hear about how our President just isn't getting noticed properly for our strengthened economy . . . What strengthened economy? Guys that used to assemble cars for $18.00 an hour are now working the produce section in the super market for $6.50, and he can't have 40 hours a week or overtime , because there's another guy that's got the same position, so full time is now 28-32 hours. Keeps everyone off of the unemployment role so those statics look good. Home foreclosures are at an all time high and you might be thinking, yes, but most of those people shouldn't have qualified to begin with. And I would agree, but then selling all those homes with shaky mortgages is what helped fuel this "strong economy" just a couple of years ago! Oh, by the way, the dollar has sunk to an all time low up next to other currency now, too. Strong economy? Don't forget all the recalls? Are the jobs to process all the returns, counted in this strong economy and employment stats?
I have to address one more topic, just because it's been on my mind for ages and some of these blogs have eluded to it, but I really think there may be some validity to my republican conspiracy theory. I think the republicans want Hillary in the White House. There is no clear front runner amidst the republicans. I have already heard a religious right leader say he would not vote for Giuliani, even if it was a vote against Hillary, so . . . I just don't think Fred Thompson actually will have much of a platform, he's mostly just presence. Huckabee is conservative, but not far enough out front. Romney has some issues to overcome, and I no longer think it's just a coincidence. I think the republicans want the sweeping victory of the House and Senate two years after Hillary takes office, and everybody knows a President that has to clean up behind a war is a one termer, regardless of party, so, there you have my theory. They are telling us one thing, while the facts seem to indicate otherwise.
A false balance is abomination to YHVH . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Liz,

lol, your post is dead-on in its accuracy as usual. The Bush Economy comment was truly striking. I remember a few years ago, he wanted to have fast-food jobs reclassified as "manufacturing" jobs. Then, there was a really funny cartoon in the newspaper showing a big factory, shut down and with a locked fence in front of it. Right beyond the fence and the factory was a small hamburger stand, and some guy passing in his car shouts out, "the manufacturing jobs are back."

Blog Archive