Monday, September 24, 2007

In the News

Well, today has been a busy day! The UAW has declared a strike, and President Ahmadinejad spoke in America at Columbia University. And somehow, I just feel that the real point and issue has been lost in both of these headline grabbing events.
What I noticed?
First, the 73,000 UAW members that walked off the job is nowhere near the number of members just a few short years ago. I read that the main concern is health care for the pension collectors. The information I read indicated there was over 300,000 retired workers collecting retirement and needing health care. Look at the figures, alone. There are far fewer people working than there are collecting. Oh, I know, the words of all the retirees. "I paid into it." Well, when you paid into it, there were more workers than retirees and people didn't live so long, requiring so much medical coverage. So, technically, the circumstances that the present retirees want covered, didn't even exist when they were working, but . . . there's no telling them that, so I hope the "strikers" aren't out too long, because they are nowhere near what they used to be. A union over 1 million strong. Those were the old days.
Now let's address this little wild man from Iran, President Ahmadinejad. We should remember from the Tehran embassy capture in the seventies, that a president doesn't have much power in Iran. The power belongs to the Ayatollah, and we know that. He has said some outrageous things, but one thing really hit me. He said Israel would be wiped off the map without violence and I have been concerned about that very thing. The Roadmap to Peace guarantees that Israel loses it's presence by concession of the land and that wasn't the plan of President Ahmadinejad, but from the mind of President Bush. I have a difficult time looking at and listening to Ahmadinejad make outrageous comments, but I also have great difficulty listening to talk radio and even the present administration, as they give this little bully, who sounds so similar; so much attention, knowing he's not the power in Iran.
So what gives?
I've read about two major "power plays" in the news today, and the reality is: there is no power in the statement being made by these power plays? So, while we are all watching the GM workers strike and listening to every negative commentary about Ahmadinejad, I have to wonder . . . What is really going on, where the power lies?
Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive