Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Right and Power to Play "I've Got a Secret"

Years ago one evening a week, for 30 minutes, probably Tuesday or Thursday, the panel game show "I've Got a Secret" was aired across America. Now it's live from Capitol Hill, all day, every day, we can see the 21st Century version of "I've Got a Secret," better known as American politics. I read in the opinion journal yesterday, an interesting discourse, to of course, discredit democrats, but as I read it, I realized, our nation truly has it's priorities out of whack, and yet it's explained with absolute "moral justification." I've included the link.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010371
In this article, the topic of Executive Privilege is discussed. It would seem that republicans interpret that to mean anything they don't choose to tell us about meetings and security, etc. Democrats seem to like it best for what they consider personal and private matters, like girl-friends and old business associates.
It seems Executive Privilege has always been open to the interpretation of the Resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Although I don't condone adultery, I truly never saw why a tryst in the White House became the issue it did. All involved were consensual adults and there was no indication that she was there through top secret discussions. She signed in as an intern, so there was a degree of clearance already established. I never did know why it was such a matter of proportion. And I truthfully don't know what the concern is about 8 laywers that got fired. Everything that happens in Washington, DC is partisan and political, so what's the big deal about this? Clinton appeared to have a history of regularly having another woman in the picture. And President Bush clearly has a reputation of surrounding himself, only with likeminded individuals.
What bothers me about this Executive Privilege and the article was the statement:
Without secrecy, the government can't function.
This article was clearly partisan and standing "right." I guess, I feel a little less fearful of tyranny when some smooth talking, hen-pecked, middle-aged politician is trying to use Executive Privilege to hide the young woman under his desk, than when some cocksure, war-mongering, fear inciting politician starts enlarging the circle as to who is included in this special Executive Privilege outside of the awareness of Congress.
I don't know where the line is drawn between a government that functions in secrecy and leaders that consider themselves above accountability, but it is now in writing that we the people shouldn't expect our leaders to keep us informed. Even with "sunshine laws" regarding government, our leader has the power and right to interpret executive privilege and say "I've Got a Secret."
For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad. New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive