Friday, April 27, 2007

We Have Nothing To Fear, Except the Fearful

We all know someone who has a horror story for every occasion and every event, right? To be honest, I just find those individuals pathetically ignorant and in great need of attention and/or control. And that opinion applies on an individual level or national. Is anyone as tired as I am of hearing about why we need to be fearful every waking hour, and then told while we sleep comfortably our government is protecting us? Isn't that kind of backward? If they are protecting us when we're not paying attention, why does all this fear-mongering require so much media and political attention through the day? When I was a kid, my parents told me one horror story after another about somebody getting murdered or kidnapped or something, and you know what after awhile, it was the fact that they kept focusing on the topic, that began to scare me. I remember when they told me about a child from a very wealthy family that was kidnapped and murdered for a ransom, and I thought then, 'but we're not wealthy.' The last story I remember listening to with any trust at all was the one about an escaped convict that hid out in someone's house, therefore we couldn't leave the place because another one might get out. Now two things, at that moment occurred to me. The first being, the fact that it was either a very old story or received very little coverage, because nobody at school had heard anything about it. And the second thing, I thought, if he hid in their house, why would walking down the road or walking to town put me in more danger?
It seemed that not being home would be safer . . . It was at that moment, that I really no longer believed in the fear inciting methods I had been raised in. And I've never considered fear again. Now, I'm not talking about living recklessly, although I am a firm believer that continuous exposure to unfounded fear first causes anxiety but ultimately desensitize many individuals. I don't believe in taking unnecessary risks, but I don't believe in living in fear, and most of the fearful only recognize the extremes. Let's face facts. If, Bin Laden really was after us, he's had nothing but opportunity to strike again. Our military strength is over in his part of the world and nobody knows where he is. Well supposed nobody knows where he is. See what I mean? When somebody keeps trying to scare me, I just quit believing them. Now, back to the facts. We have had four ordeals of terror in this nation in the past 12 years and every one of them was carried out by people who had all the proper paperwork to be here. So, just how many people are we supposed to fear now? Everyone except illegal immigrants??? And why should I relax and feel at ease about the fact that the fearful ones are the ones claiming to do the protecting. This is such a deja vu from childhood. Does our government think we will bow down and be grateful for protection and give up all our rights for safety if they scare us severely enough? Does this "one nation under G~d" know how many times G~d said to "FEAR NOT" or "DON'T BE AFRAID." Well let me share . . . it's well over a hundred times and interestingly it's frequently referring to the acenstors of the same people that our government and the "faithfully fearful" are telling us to fear, now.
Behold, G~d is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive