Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Free Speech Leaves Room for Dumb Comments

I've been reading all about the statement made by Don Imus, and he's right, and Rev. Sharpton is right, and Rev. Jackson is right, Don Imus should not have said what he did. So, since we all agree, Imus included, that the comment just wasn't "fit for polite society," where's the forgiveness espoused by the profession of these two accusers? Don Imus has a reputation for saying outlandish things. This certainly isn't the first questionable comment made by this gentleman, but we just haven't heard all the griping and unforgiveness by other offended individuals. And Don Imus has been very specific and disrespectful in many comments through his career. But really! We still have free speech and with free speech, comes freedom in listening. That's right, if what Don Imus did is so unforgiveable, then don't listen to his show. Most of us can remember in our lifetime many comments that were racial, and we didn't want to outlaw free speech, we just chose to not listen or not repeat it. We can't start insisting that everyone that says something dumb should lose their job. There are enough Americans not working, as it is.
I can't imagine sitting in front of a microphone for hours at a time, just talking and making commentary. I would think the law of averages alone would indicate, the more a person says, the greater the chances are, of saying something wrong. I figure it's kind of like baseball. The homerun kings have averages under 500, so that means they miss, more than they hit! Doctors only have to make 70% to graduate, so they get to be wrong 30% of the time. As a writer, I have the opportunity to read and edit before my text is published, and there are still typos. I am particularly amazed at the audacity of these two accusers. While they insist upon tolerance, I find theirs to be at a particularly low level. And really, they are black ministers, that I never hear talking about G~d. I've not heard Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson discuss anything but racial issues for years. How many white ministers get to be so famous politically for simply having outspoken opinions? Most white ministers aren't famous until they get caught in some sex or money scandal.
I am a woman and I am brown and although I don't really care to listen to the style of Don Imus, he said he was sorry. I completely support his right to free speech. So, is forgiveness only preached and not practiced?
But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

No comments:

Blog Archive