Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Roadmap to Peace and Our Advice to Israel

I have already mentioned that I am a minister, and I will also share that I attend synagogue, weekly to worship G~d. I am not going to stand on a soap box and recount the horrors that Israel has faced throughout history, although there have been many. I have a perspective that I am not sure has been shared before, and that being . . . are we, America, giving advice to Israel that we would live by? Are we practicing what we preach? Is this road map to peace a matter of "do as I say, not as I do?"
Israel has lived for years with the fact that there are inhabitants of that land that do not want the State of Israel to be considered at all, much less politicially accommodated, or even recognized for that matter. But Israel is an established government, people, an entity in geography and world events. I, personally believe the Biblical account and land parameters to still be in effect. I stand firm, that the real estate deal G~d made with Abraham still stands as it was first deeded without addendum. But I realize I am in the minority, from the global perspective. With that being said, let's set aside the religious perspective and the emotional aspect and consider this matter strictly from the logical standpoint. This Roadmap to Peace set forth by the [quartet?] is not something that any member of this quartet would accept for their own country. These arrangements are certainly not the definition of peace acknowledged by any of the entities making the recommendation. Would Putin, Chirac or President Bush pander to any terrorist threat the way this roadmap has recommended that Israel do in dealing with Arafat or the Palestinian demands? I realize that Arafat is no longer an issue, and I think it will be very interesting to see what takes place, now that the excuse that "he" would not be dealt with is gone. Now back to the quartet advisors. I cannot speak for France, nor can I say what Russia is tolerating, but I do live in America. I can tell you first hand, I received a three page letter from the White House, outlining the Roadmap to Peace. And I can also tell you first hand, I have listened to the speeches and read the reports and it would seem, we in America, "do not negotiate with terrorists," much less give them land to appease them. I have used this example before, and I do not see the circumstances changing that much between the demands of Arafat and Abbas. What I do see changing, is that Israel may finally be able to actually identify her allies and those that truly do support Israel's rights as a State in Palestine. Advising Israel in this land give-away, for peace would be comparable to America giving Manhattan, Philadelphia, and maybe throwing in Texas to Osama bin Laden and granting him easements and travel rights throughout the rest of the country. And although I do not feel that I know the reason for the war in Iraq, I pray we would never consider negotiation with the one or ones responsible for the terrorist act on 9/11. And yet, that is what we have proposed that Israel do. When we already know there is no purpose accomplished in attempting to negotiate with someone making unreasonable demands and threats of terrorism? With the "friends" Israel has, does she really need any enemies?

And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer

No comments:

Blog Archive