Tuesday, February 22, 2005

red herring/blue herring

We all know that the term red herring is a colloquial label for a diversion. A "red herring" is a topic raised or tangent introduced to lead away from the main issue. Have you noticed that we literally have a political war going on all the time and I wonder how many have the same feeling that I have? It's as if we are watching a movie or tennis match that has pre-empted the storm warnings. It's eery to realize we are choosing to be focused on the non-issues, while impending disaster looms. It's as though a magazine has the cover of a Current Event Information source, yet has the contents of a Dr. Seuss book. What would you do tomorrow morning, if you picked up the paper [whatever paper] and it was only funnies, comics, advice and TV guide? What happened to just hearing the news? Why do I need someone else to give a perspective and interpretation of what is going on? Why can't someone just give me the information? I would prefer facts, but I am willing to sort, if I have to. I don't want to be entertained by current events in the news. And, more than anything, I do not want to be lead on a biased tangent, and told that is the honest truth. When did the news become commentary? It was the same week of the election that my alarm came on, to the now familiar voice of Rush Limbaugh's moment or whatever it is to promote his several hours later. At any rate, he came on to discuss the 2008 election. Not only do we have poor sports that lose in contests and campaigns, we got to hear winners that really sound like poor sports. I could not believe the day of the inauguration that Rush Limbaugh actually could tell us what Senator Kerry was thinking and feeling. How does such a devout self-proclaimed conservative, patriotic republican know what the thoughts would be of a liberal democrat? So, is my theory correct? Spin is spin, regardless of the directional leaning! Political rhetoric schmetoric! Let's face it, without one side, there is no other side. And the current party of power needs to remember that. How many Americans knew who Rush Limbaugh was before William J. Clinton became president? Where would the Republican spokesperson be right now, were it not for those "immoral, liberal democrats?"
I guess I am beginning to wonder what America really stands for, or do we have; what unity there is, in what certain Americans stand against? But while this choreographed rhetoric and socialized civil war continues, what are the real issues that we are not hearing, but need to be aware of?

But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness

No comments:

Blog Archive