Wednesday, February 09, 2005

My Eulogy for America's Politics

In reading at this site, you may have decided, I am either a minister or a political skeptic with extra time on my hands. Well, I am a minister, and sadly, have become worse than a political skeptic, I am in political mourning. I am not mourning the victory or loss of a particular candidate, I am mourning the people's loss of choice in the election. It is not a matter of party affiliation, or disappointment in my candidate. I didn't have a candidate of choice. Do you remember how many times President Bush told the American public that John Kerry, agreed with him, on various issues? I am mourning the fact that, regardless of election results, I truly believe the outcome would be the same. This is personal and perhaps could be seen as selfish. I used to just love politics. I mean, I wanted to be involved. I was so excited when I was finally old enough to vote. I took my 2 1/2 month old, "bicentennial" daughter, into the voting booth, just to be a part of the bigger picture. To vote was exciting. To be a part of the political machinery that moved this country and influenced the world, evoked absolute passion in me. I read biographies of Presidents, I wrote Congressmen, I handed out political fliers, I wrote the Presidents . . . but those were different times. That was back when I really thought the world could be changed politically. I realized how much things had changed when I wrote our current President. This was the first time, I received a response from the White House that was not signed by the President. Not that I am so naive as to think that the previous presidents actually read my letters personally, but there was a signature and seal that meant alot to a young American. And the absence of that is also significant, to this; now middle-aged American. I miss feeling a part of something big. I remember watching the visiting dignitaries in the White House. I was always glad that The State of the Union Address pre-empted regularly scheduled programming. I loved being a part and following what was happening. I now find myself, wondering what in the world is going on? I feel so disconnected from our government and it's direction. You see, the Politics that I remember, involved the People in their Government. It seems now, the purpose of Politics is to let the peasants view the Aristocrats.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

No comments:

Blog Archive