Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The America of the Founding Fathers

In a previous post, I spoke of our Founding Fathers and we all know the accuracy of history is questionable at best. I believe the accuracy of the account always depends upon the perspective. Well, I'm not going to suggest that every American needs to see it my way to be better citizens, because we all have different perspectives of what it would take; and who should do the changing. So, I am going to refer to the generally accepted history about one of our founding fathers and some interesting recent information that I believe to be factual. I mean, it has to be true, I read it on the internet!!!
We all have read and been taught that George Washington endured great hardship at Valley Forge. He was personally both a patriotic leader and a soldier, but did we realize he was already 44 years old by 1776? Present day Army career men have already retired by then and are collecting a pension or are calling the shots at the Pentagon, but they are not usually on the front line. I remember learning that presidents had careers and businesses before they went to serve in that office and went back to their profession after they had served their country. I was taught, being elected to a government position was one of a servant . . .
I have personally seen the progressive chronological photos of our last president, as he moved up the political ladder from the late 60's until in 1992 he attained the top rung of the ladder;
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Remember, he didn't even have a house to live in between the governor's mansion and the White House, much less a career. Our modern leaders seem to merely be gleaned for their political aspirations and really don't have a career to return to, so I guess that explains the fact that in 1958, the former presidents of the United States began to receive a 'pension' of sorts. Now my thought is that it was a pleasantly modest sum to accompany what ever his investment returns would bring him or possibly accomodate any loss of income by unpopular decisions he may have made with our nation's interests ahead of his own personal priorities.
And as for Social Security reform, we absolutely need it! I cannot tell you how many seniors I have heard say, "these young people won't be able to save in personal accounts, young people don't know how to manage their money," and then turn right around in the same breath and say, "he better not touch my social security check, I can't make it without it." Sounds like nobody knows how to manage their money for old age, now doesn't it? As a baby-boomer that is younger than 55, but no where near young enough to expect great returns from any investment at our present interest rate, I feel sorry for all the generations that surround me. We 50's boomers knew capitalistic materialism would become exhausted, and recognized early that we could not just set our focus on amassing for ourselves; if we were to leave the world to the next generation, better than the last one is leaving it to us. I have certain ideals of what true patriotism is, and frankly I don't see it in our leaders or our revered generations. I see it in some of these young men that are willing to endure the hardship of war, like George Washington at Valley Forge, but they are not in positions of leadership. I am literally embarrassed that in the last presidential campaign, we had two men that made an issue of "their military service," state-side guard reserves, and how many medals and home in 3 or 4 months? I would say, if we are going to get back to the America of the Founding Father's vision, then we need the leadership that is willing to make the same sacrifices our founding father's did. Picture, if you will, not a debate, but a candidate's forum with the same military service and war focused issues as we listened to last year, but this time between our President, Senator Kerry, and George Washington. Now, tell me, please; which party has a real understanding of what the founding fathers stood for and fought for?

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly

No comments:

Blog Archive