Friday, November 12, 2010

Love the Spin, and Hoping for the Best

This blog is obviously not written by a die hard republican, or even a political conservative for that matter, but I have to admit, I've been following the Senate race in Alaska between the two conservative candidates. There are a number of reasons this is important to me. To be honest, I really didn't care in the beginning, except . . . I was curious as to whether or not it really was possible for a write in candidate to win the election. So, if Lisa Murkowski wins, we'll know it is possible, or a least TPTB want us to believe that! I officially entered the Murkowski camp, not when I watched Joe Miller act like Al Gore, but when I heard the Joe Miller, Sarah Palin fan club explain to me how this was so different from Al Gore in 2000. That's when I became a true supporter of the Murkowski campaign. Not that it matters, I don't live in Alaska, but it's done my heart good to watch. First the official write-in ballot counting didn't begin until November 10, and by noon Joe Miller had filed something to reject some ballots. Handwriting arguments sounded a lot like pregnant chad to me! Considering there are many Native American or Eskimos in Alaska that truly could be disenfranchised by handwriting and language issues, it seemed all the more petty that he would start the day looking for loopholes and technicalities. It was entirely too funny to hear the very same people that just loathed Al Gore and his whining, defend this guy. I was even asked if I didn't think Al Gore was wrong in what he did. I said, of course Al Gore was wrong, and so is Joe Miller. They just look, both of them, like sore losers. American politics is truly nothing but spin and right or wrong depends upon which side of the aisle your candidate sits and which end of the stick they are holding at the end of the contest! Spin . . . gotta love it. But, to my cynical delight, it looks like for now, the system is still working. It is possible to run a write in campaign. Hopefully Joe Miller will "man up" as Sara P. says, and congratulate the winner.
Scornful men bring a city into a snare . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive