Thursday, August 28, 2008

Matters Closer to "Home"

Two political biggies in the headlines today. Barack Obama is giving his “I promise change speech.” Of course, this happens to be the anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, “I have a dream.” As I’ve noticed for some time, and it really has been an exceedingly lengthy campaign, Obama is telling us we need change and all along he’s been telling us how much work we are going to have to do to bring about this change. I’m thinking when he becomes president, he’s going to expect the American people to be much more diligent at our work and taxes than he was in attendance in the Senate . . .
I also read that the Republican Convention may have to be postponed due to the possible return of hurricane Gustav. If the hurricane causes the convention timing to change, I’d have to mention something about “an act of G-D.” I mean, wasn’t Katrina warning or judgment on New Orleans?
Now that we’ve got the political spectrum covered from both sides of aisle, I want to talk about toilet paper. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.
My husband and I went to town yesterday and I once again suffered sticker shock. Three years ago, we could go to town, buy the feed for the animals, stop at the store and get the items we don’t raise ourselves, such as paper products, coffee, etc., all for about $100.00. Now those same items for the same time frame has nearly doubled.
I always check the “necessary items” aisles for sales. Things like flour, cleaning supplies, and toilet paper; and if there’s a sale, I stock up. As I was wandering down the paper products aisle, I couldn’t help but notice all the new packaging for toilet paper. There are the standard 24 roll packages and there are still the 4 packs. But there are 9 packs that are triple rolls, 12 packs that are double rolls, 8 packs that contain as much as 12 rolls, 6 rolls that contain as much as 18. As I stood there just looking and commenting, as to how anyone would truly arrive at the best deal, I told my husband I just didn’t take enough math in college to buy toilet paper.
Clearly, there is no standard in politics, a 3 pound coffee can now contains 34 oz., the gold standard is ancient history, we tossed the silver standard, and now there is no standard roll of toilet paper.
Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to YHVH. A Proverb of Holy Scripture

1 comment:

girlontheedge said...

Can I get an Aaaa-meeen?! Great post! One of your best, in terms of satyrical humor. The correllation is profound. Good job!

Blog Archive