Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Okay, I Have A Problem with This . . .

When the headlines about Miley Cyrus got controversial, I read a few, but I don't really keep up with the celebs. My grandchildren just love Hannah Montana and they were down visiting for a few weeks and I realized just how influentially entertaining this little 15 year old is, so I decided to do a bit more research. I read her "powerful acceptance line" from some awards dinner where she mentioned her "faith" and says that keeps her grounded. I then proceeded to where the photographer for Vanity Fair supposedly pushed this innocent little girl into photos that were inappropriate for her age and her image. Interestingly, I saw both of her parents in the background of the "shoot." And I saw her achy-breaky has-been father in some of the photos. The best thing I can say about the photos with her father, was the word 'questionable' came to mind . . . Billy Ray needs to just make peace with who he is and how old he is. Back to Miley. I'm not perfect by any means, but I have a real problem with people sprinkling a little "Jesus" in their speeches and banter and going right on doing what they want. George Bush just kind of ruined that for everyone. He made one mention of Jesus and Christian America just bowed down, and I've read some comments about Miley's acceptance speech and read the same kind of comments. It wasn't a month after her acceptance speech for the Kid's Choice Award, the pictures of her in the Vanity Fair photo shoot appeared. And just like she thanked Jesus, she blamed the photographer. Her parents seemed offended by what that photographer did, but the photographer was smart enough to have not just dad, but mom, too in the background in some of the photos. If Miley were a bit older and if Miley was not influencing children the way she does, and if Miley was just appearing on Christian programing, I'd say go ahead and live the double standard, it's the American Christian way, for the most part! But she influences the kids, and does so, as a kid. And this whole naivete on her part and the part and her parents is just ridiculous. She could have said "No!" Her dad could have said she's too young and this is too provocative. Her mom/manager could have reminded everyone she's only 15 and just got her name changed, she's not an adult yet! Vanity Fair and the photographer are absolutely not to blame! Although I don't read it, I have seen the cover and from the cover, I feel I can ascertain the genre of Vanity Fair. I'm not in show business, but I've heard about starlets that used their bodies to advance their careers. I just think the entire Cyrus clan ought to knock off the innocent, Sunday School, country bumpkin routine and just say it the way it is. Instead of all the excuses and blaming, I'd rather have Hannah Montana telling her fans, "G~D has given everyone gifts, you don't have to show the packaging!"
. . . that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; . . .(which becometh women professing godliness) . . . New Testament

No comments:

Blog Archive