Friday, September 01, 2006

Are Statistics Like Comparing Apples to Oranges?

I heard this morning that the unemployment statistics are in; and the percentage of unemployment is down. Well, let me tell you what I can plainly see around me. I'm guessing if you figured the percentage of accurately compared issues when compiling statistics, we'd need an entirely new criteria for which to figure. We might even have to discover a different word for the procedure. Just what would be the statistics for accurately compared issues? I am not going to present a national database here, just my little circle of awareness. I happen to be aware of a number of men and women that simply are not in the statistics and are not employed in the regular sense of the word. Many are simply not working. I know men that have taken early retirement, due to the downsizing of companies and the outsourcing of jobs. They are not counted in the unemployment statistics. I know men that just simply won't work and they are not considered in the unemployment statistics. I know men and woman that can do everything but; go to work and they are on disability. They also are not included in the unemployment statistics. I am aware of men that have had their own businesses and due to the questionable economy, have simply had to close or go out of business, and sadly they are not included in these figures called unemployment statistics. While I heard this morning of the 118,000 new jobs last month, I didn't hear a word about the Big 3 and their plant closings and layoffs. They didn't repeat the story about Radio Shack's e-pink slips. And there is simply no longer mention of all the young people that are just too busy with the game boys to ever enter the work force, or even want a driver's license. I think the saddest information missing in the unemployment statistics are the number of men and women that have simply exhausted their unemployment insurance without finding employment. They are just no longer part of the statistics. And then there are those that have changed careers. It breaks my heart to hear men talk about their old factory days and their "building a new factory" hopes, while they fill serving dishes and bus tables at the "all you can eat" buffets.
there is wrong on wrong, deceit upon deceit . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive