Saturday, December 10, 2005

A Tree by Any Other Name

I must admit, I never thought I would be posting an agreement with Dennis Hastert, but here I am doing just that. Let me qualify the rest of this blog with this statement. I do not agree with Dennis Hastert's politics, but I applaud his reference to the Christmas Tree. I have no earthly idea why our President referred to the tree at the White House as a "Holiday Tree." I can't speak for all the other religions, but I have done a few Google searches and I discovered . . .Many other religious and non religious observers do not have a tree in their holiday events. As a matter of fact, "traditional" Christianity seems to be the only one, although I think the tree huggers may include some sort of tree ritual in their beliefs, I don't think they are "big" on the idea of cutting them down. I was very cautious in using the term tree hugger until I found some very proud believers in their cause referring to themselves as such. I had thought until now, only John Hagee and Rush Limbaugh used the term, so if I have offended an ecologist, please forgive me. Now, back to this Christmas tree business. As a Bible literalist, I don't have a holiday tree. I do celebrate the Feast of Dedication (Chanukah), but there's no tree for the event. I know for a fact, there is no Chanukah tree, and I couldn't find a Bahai tree, nor a Hindu tree. I don't know what the Buddhists do this time of year, nor do I know what the Muslims festively celebrate, but I couldn't find a tree for their events, either . . . so what exactly is a Holiday Tree? If there are only two belief systems that acknowledge the use of trees in their beliefs, how does changing the terminology include the rest of us? If it's a Christmas tree that is being lit or decorated, or whatever, then call it that. If it is a tribute to ecology that is not being cut down, then call it that, but making it generic only appears to dim the value and importance to the one that changes the name. It certainly doesn't invite inclusion into the event. Dennis Hastert, good for you! You called it what it is! It's nice to see a politician stand up for his values and beliefs and since this is America, I don't have to agree with your politics to applaud!
For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it . . .Jeremiah 10:3-4a

No comments:

Blog Archive