Thursday, December 15, 2005

All This Protection is Scaring Me!

I have purposely remained quiet after the shooting incident in Miami last week, looking for more information or evidence, but it is scarce. My sincere condolences to his widow and family. I have not read about one single passenger that was frightened by this "alleged" situation, before someone lay bloody and they were told at gunpoint to cooperate . Nor have I read that any of the witnesses heard this passenger use the word "bomb." I have yet to read how this air marshall that was sitting several rows away from this man became aware of his "alleged" potential to be uncooperative. And of course we know that air marshalls are undercover, so when they take "authority" they must just look like anybody else waving a gun and shouting. I wonder if they look "erratic" to passengers that don't have supersonic hearing and know what's going on. With all this talk of terror in the air for the past few years, I don't think I would assume that a guy waving a gun and shouting, would necessarily be a "good guy." With all the anti-terrorists talk and the endless meetings these air marshalls must attend, I'm sure they are ready to respond in a split second, but that appears to now be translated "shoot first and ask questions later." I think what bothers me more than an "allegedly erratic" passenger or a "potentially jumpy" air marshall is the American response to this tragedy. And it is a tragedy. An unarmed man that was just trying to get home was taken out, in the prime of life. Now, granted, he was only one person, as opposed to the three thousand on 9/11, but he was still unarmed and unsuspecting.
Is there any data or any statistics as to the number of "sucide bombers" that make the announcement before they detonate? Where are the logical questions in this situation? Our authorities say the air marshall acted appropriately, so that's that. They do say there will be an investigation, but who does the investigating? And no investigation is going to bring an innocent man back to life. This situation really got me thinking. My husband and I have done a bit of traveling. Since 9/11, we've been to our nation's capital and even done some international travel, and I felt no more afraid or safe than when I had traveled before 9/11, significantly more inconvenienced and dehumanized, however; but that was by American airport security. And I know, there really are droves of paranoid Americans that get fed this fear propaganda that feel safer because of all this, but . . . I find those individuals less than reassuring.
What I do know, as an American, with a few stamps in my passport both before and after 9/11; after 12/7, I don't think I want to do any more air travel.
There's an old saying something to the effect: "Dead men tell no tales." They can't tell the truth either.
Come now, and let us reason together . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive