Thursday, December 22, 2005

Is That What We Financed?

This is a question that my husband posed to me regarding a situation in which our hearts and checkbook seemed a little bigger than our brains at the time. We had it on "good authority" that we were doing a good thing that would accomplish much. As the story and explanations continue to unfold, or shall I say unravel, my husband remains consistent with his comment . . . "Is that what we financed?" And being the business-minded woman that I am, I now find myself much more sensitive to the outcome of investment and much more leary of the marketing experts and propaganda promoters, regarding charity and "good causes." So, now I find myself double checking the funding and asking, "We're not financing this, are we?" I am all about being generous and helpful, but I am becoming exhausted with funding things that I do not find to be worthy causes or providing financing for things I would not spend the money for, much less find detrimental. Charity is supposed to provide for needs, not greed and certainly not mayhem.
After President Bush promised funding to the Palestinians, America also sent Dr. Rice to confirm the promise of funding the Palestinians. Once I read this promise was supposed to be based upon their control of attacks on Israel, then I read later, they would get the money anyway. Now, I read where the Palestinian leader, M Abbas, has organized some sort of "suicide bomber pension." Obviously the "successful" suicide bomber will not collect, but his family will. Now, if American funds are being sent to Palestine, "We're not financing this, are we?"
Then there was the tragedy of Katrina and Mayor Nagin announcing the layoff of half of the city workers, due to a lack of funding, send money!!! I read and saw the picture of Mayor Nagin in the White House receiving the promise of $3.1 billion. But before lights are on in the entire town, the announcement . . . Mardi Gras 2006 is a GO and there will be plenty of police, etc., blah, blah, blah. "We're not financing this, are we?"
I even heard on the radio this week, although I have not seen in writing anything to substantiate the report, that to lift spirits in New Orleans, they manufactured "snow?" I live considerably north of New Orleans, and the children in our town haven't seen any snow yet, this winter. "We didn't finance that, did we?"
Wouldn't it be nice to hear some reports of charity and generosity, and know, "I'm so glad we contributed to that!"

a generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

No comments:

Blog Archive