Sunday, December 01, 2013

Tradition

The American tradition of Thanksgiving is really expanding, but it doesn't seem to be so much in the area of thankfulness or giving, unless you count "giving a piece of one's mind . . ."  I don't celebrate the tradition of Thanksgiving.  Seems between all the revision and obvious historical disparity, Thanksgiving and Black Friday are probably pretty low on my list of things for which I'm thankful.  I've made a point of truly seeking to be thankful every day.

After seeing some of the ridiculous comments on social media from the religiously astute, I simply chose to not participate in social media for the "holiday" weekend, either.  I don't choose to celebrate a day that commemorates the change for the original inhabitants of this country that immigration has made.  I also do not choose to spend a day of gluttony while telling myself it's about setting the day aside to give thanks.   If I focus on the traditions of Thanksgiving, I actually find myself in a very non-thankful place, so I don't.

I do not believe anyone should march to my drumbeat, but by the same token, I don't choose to embrace some things, either.  Even though freedom has been dramatically and drastically redefined since that supposed first "Thanksgiving," we are all still free to observe or opt out of whatever we choose, except of course, dying and paying taxes . . . and now Obama care!

There are so many things in my life, for which I am thankful.  I'm very thankful for the nice visit with my daughter and great phone conversations with my granddaughter.  I am truly thankful for the long week-end without a huge mess in the kitchen.  I am also thankful for the life in which I've been blessed, knowing there was nothing to buy on Black Friday that would bring greater contentment to my life.  Even though I am not terribly progressive in the area of technology, I am thankful to be able to see photographs of loved ones and keep up with their lives by way of internet communication.

As I contemplate "tradition," it's rather mind-boggling to realize my Grandchildren will have no concept of life before internet and no idea that stores used to actually be closed on national holidays.  

O give thanks unto YHWH; call upon His Name: make known His deeds among the people.  from a Psalm of Holy Scripture


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be time to resurrect traditions more ancient than national holidays ;-)

Anonymous said...

Praise YHWH for Snowden!
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/12/10/1261803/-Snowden-Strikes-Again-another-breaking-story?detail=email

Blog Archive