Friday, December 20, 2013

In the Public Eye

A journalist once told me, "when it comes to politics, there is no bad publicity."  I think that's true beyond just politics.  In this article, I'm going to weigh in with an opinion on a topic in which I'm basing everything on "hearsay" and internet social media.  We'll see how it goes.

I've never seen Duck Dynasty and I've not read the interview of Phil Robertson in GQ.  I don't have a television and I don't buy magazines.  Like most Americans, I have developed an opinion just based upon what's been reported, since.  I did see a brief interview of his wife through a social media link.  An eight to ten minute interview hardly qualifies me to judge their life, but she was very strong in her statement that she believed G-d was blessing them for staying together through the early rough years.  She stated, "one man, one woman, for life."  I haven't done that, but those are her beliefs and I applaud and support her right to speak what she believes.  As for her entrepreneur husband and business major son, I think they have proven their G-d given gifts in this situation.

This image was found at truthrevolt.org

I firmly believe Phil Robertson is a smart enough man to know everyone is not a fan of his show.  I think he also has the right to speak what he believes and he knows the fans are going to love him all the more and the ones who are not fans will still double the exposure of his business by their negative comments.  I'm sure their business marketing son knows this!  Since I don't believe in coincidence, I have to say, this timing is amazing and an entrepreneur knows to strike while the iron is hot.  A wealthy entrepreneur knows the best time to introduce a new product line is when your name and photo are headlines!

Duck Commander has expanded their product line to now include wine and the family has made a Christmas album.  This GQ uproar could not have come at a better time.  Considering the fan base, there are probably a fair percentage that would frown a bit on the wine line, but that disapproval pales in comparison to the amazing appreciation of his statement against homosexuality.  As the press has a hayday, the fan base is rallying to boycott A&E and see what they can purchase to show their support for the Robertsons . . .

For those who won't buy wine, there is the "Duck the Halls" family Christmas album.  These guys are genius.  I don't for a minute, think, Phil Robertson truly cares what anyone thinks of him, except G-d and his family.  He appears to be, and this is only a superficial observation, a rugged outdoors kind of man who will live and die by the beliefs he professes.  Whether I agree or disagree, I have to admire that.  The man gives glory to G-d for the life he's living and his testimony of meeting Messiah for being delivered from alcohol is his testimony!  How can anyone judge it differently, as his life bears witness to that testimony?

His marriage has lasted and their family is together.  He's provided for his sons and grandchildren, and given G-d the glory.  What's to judge?  He and his wife have done more than most of us and they have the evidence that stands.  While the media does what it does best, which is to divide the people, the Robertsons are walking through the media storm with grace.  I don't have to be a fan of his show, or agree with all the details of his beliefs to defend his right to speak what he believes and applaud his business savvy in all this free publicity!

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of G-d.  New Testament

3 comments:

Reverend Spotter said...

It's an interesting take, and while I am sure there are people that think that way marketing wise, I more-so think it was a trap set by the media to try and squash a highly influential Christian that was forged in the depths of hell because God was getting too much glory. This issue too has come to symbolize more than just the Duck enterprise, but encapsulates all of the frustrations over the years against the tactics of the left.

Anonymous said...

I think you bring up an interesting point; however, I think you over estimate the value of the wine product and the Christmas album. DD has clothing, cookbooks, videos, hunting apparel, hunting equipment, posters, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It doesn't make much sense to me to purposefully create a controversy for just the new product launch. They didn't need that type of publicity. And I don't think Phil said for the purpose of publicity. He said those things because those are the things that he truly believes and he was asked.

K D Elizabeth said...

Anonymous,
I think A&E created the controversy, not the Robertsons, but I do believe the Robertsons have benefitted from it, for Phil's refusal to back down.

Blog Archive