Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pride and Prejudice

I'm going to get a bit personal today here at Contemplation, because I'm being led to expand the ministry and this subject has been on my heart in preparation for some time.  It's so easy to get caught up in the "them against us" mentality, and to argue over moral legislation, but I have a different perspective.  I don't argue against what I don't believe in, I try to make the positive change before it comes to that. While the decided adults are arguing the results of the SCOTUS regarding DOMA, there is a generation of kids who will be greatly influenced by the outreach of the new agenda.  I heard over and over at the celebration, that "it's about the children;" and it is! 

I refer to myself as a disenfranchised or solitary heterosexual. I am a woman, and I identify as a woman. I'm not attracted to women, I love men, but as friends, and so far they feel same toward me . . . I'm not speaking against marriage, I've tried it several times.  As it turns out, I am passionately platonic . . . I support marriage for those who can do it, but personally, I celebrate celibacy. 

I'm addressing the fact that there are individuals who do not desire heterosexual intimacy but do not identify LGBT, and we're being left out; disenfranchised. I think people, especially young people, are being pressured to gender identify and it's causing confusion for many people. There has always been religious pressure to marry, but not all of us are marriage material. Paul referred to this in I Corinthians 7, and I received a real revelation that our sexually exploitative society pressures everyone to “identify.” It used to be okay for men to be confirmed bachelors or cranky curmudgeons and spinsters could be crazy cat ladies, and that was okay! Everyone doesn't have to fit a sexual stereotype, although I guess that description was pretty stereotypical.


I wasn't the "princess type" Daddy's girl, I refer to myself as the un-son that could put a spiral on a football and go off the diving board before I was old enough to go to school. I identified with my Dad's interests, but never even thought it required a sexual identity, just interest.   My mom, however; thought otherwise, so I was forced to do feminine things like play the piano, with the musical talent of a rusty gate hinge. It's like all the things she wanted me to do, I wasn't good at, which certainly could have caused issues . . . She sewed and dressed my younger sister and I alike until I was in Jr. High, which did, in fact, inspire me to take up sewing so I could make my own clothes. 


On top of being a bit on the tomboyish side, I was the darkest child in my classes until desegregation.  In elementary school I was bullied, so I didn't really have friends, but due to my home life, even though bullied, school was my refuge.  None of us know which children are seeking acceptance or refuge now, really; for whatever reason.

 As I got older, my friends at school were mostly guys and they didn't want to date me.  I usually did have one or two “token” female friends, in an attempt to not just be "one of the guys."   In those days, I was not dating material.  I was too dark for the white guys, and there were very few black families in that small community, who pretty much did their own socializing. Back then, I was just an awkward brown dork, but now 35 to 40 years later, somebody would be telling me otherwise . . . I would have been targeted [invited] for this social agenda!

Some people simply do not define themselves sexually, beyond what YHWH has defined; in male or female.  Some people are more defined by interests than gender identity.  I believe there are a number of young people who just don't fit the gender stereotypes or the "fit in" herd mentality, who are being programmed to believe they are LGBT.  Now that a "Q" has been added to this agenda, for those who would "question," I have a question. 

How many young people have ever taken their questions about sexuality to their parents or religious leaders? 


I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.  But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.  -  the Apostle Paul


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The women who served at the tent of meeting... the eunuch... "functional /tov /good" "roles."
No tent-of-meeting now, but service still exists, and is needed quite desperately everywhere.

Blog Archive