Sunday, June 23, 2013

Freedom . . . Nothin' Left to Take

Snowden is in the news every day and I continue to wonder how this turns out.  Of course, he's charged with something . . . he didn't "just follow orders."  It's getting easier and easier to see why those guys at Nuremberg chose the answer they did.  I'm not condoning their actions at all, as there is no excuse for what took place in Nazi Germany, but just comparing the fact that they didn't have the chutzpah Mr. Snowden did.  I'm finding the questions and comments quite interesting.  Is he a traitor or a hero?  One comment stood out amidst all the rest.  "He's not a hero, he simply did the right thing."

I'd like to think most Americans have a line they have drawn that would simply be where they dig their heels in and say, "That is beyond what I can accept as acceptable."  I don't know where that is for others, and I don't think others know where that is for me, but it is essential that we each examine ourselves and truly determine where that is.

This land of the free and home of the brave is under surveillance, and the same power that can monitor my phone, cannot find the illegal immigrants or stop a bombing.  I'm reminded of a time several years ago, when I found a "home made bomb" at the corner of my house.  At least that's what the officer called it, when I reported it.  He borrowed my husband's pocket knife to destroy the evidence, explaining that it had enough gun powder in it to blow the corner out of the house, but he didn't opt to make a report.  When I enquired as to why, he said the chances of catching the person who had done this was too slim to put the man power on it.  This was after 9/11 and the USA Patriot Act.

Now this was the same city that was monitoring the height of the grass and giving citations for unexposed brick sidewalks, that resulted in liens against properties.  This was also the same city that was absolutely surrounded by property for sale, but set it's sights on the business property of an independent who had been in business for 50 years.  Within a year of the SCOTUS decision regarding eminent domain, the business man was out of business.

The Powers That Be can take our land, monitor our phone calls, and now randomly take DNA samples.  Oh, I know, it's only under loosely defined arrest circumstances.  How long do you think it will be before a crisis check point uses biometric ID for the victims to be allowed back into the homes in which they have paid for, maintain, and pay their taxes?

To be honest, I'm a bit weary with the religious patriotism and the just following policy nationalism.  The people of our nation are being divided on issues that are already out of our control.  This is not one side of the aisle doing this, it's coming from both parties.  It's been building law upon law, loss of freedom upon loss of freedom . . .  I am not advocating anarchy, I'm advocating awareness!  The choice we have left in this land of the free and home of the brave is simply where we, as an individual say, "I'm brave enough to say this land is no longer free?"

I've included some links, for events that may be coming soon, to a random check point near you!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/supreme-court-dna-samples_n_3378379.html

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/opinion/sobel-id-immigration/

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.  a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive