Friday, January 27, 2012

A Bit Off Topic, but . . .

I realize in this world, we do much more complaining than sharing appreciation and I just have to comment on something I saw twice yesterday that literally touched my heart to tears. First, I watched the short video of Congresswoman Gabrielle Gifford's resignation. Of course, that was emotional, watching all those that so deeply cared about her, but I noticed something in John Boehner that I truly found compelling. Now, I've read a lot of press about his emotional displays, and I can't speak for his politics, but watching him with Congresswoman Giffords just truly touched me. First, she has a noticeably affected side from the shooting. She was approaching his platform to render her resignation when she obviously experienced some difficulty. He quickly, without hesitation or checking for a photo op, reached out to steady and assist her. Once she was on the platform, he gently kissed her cheek. This was a very emotional moment and it was clear to see Speaker Boehner was affected. He is portrayed to be almost manipulative with his display of emotion, but I didn't see that. I saw a man, that set all politics aside, and showed immense compassion for a woman that has been through an unbelievable ordeal and survived. As I said, I'll not address his politics, but he is one republican that I have no doubt experiences life beneath the ivory tower of politics. I read his bio at Wikipedia and this man's life is certainly not reflective of our average politicians. He was not born with a silver spoon. I have a respect for him that crosses all party lines and appreciated his nonpartisan humanity. Now, the other event I witnessed was an old video of Elvis performing "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!" Funny, I don't think I view 3 videos a month but two in one day were very heart warming. Naturally, hearing Elvis sing, especially gospel is wonderful, but it wasn't his singing that caught my attention this time. As the video played, there was a piccolo solo in the transition of the medley and the man played beautifully, of course, but a camera came back to Elvis as he watched the man play. It was a moment! Watching Elvis, a very, very, very talented musician appreciate the talent of someone else is difficult to put into words, and yet here I am attempting to do just that. The expression of humble admiration and appreciation was so warm. When it comes to talents and showmanship, it seems most talented folks appreciate the sound of their own voice the most, but this was a moment of rare exception. Maybe it was more than just his talent, maybe it was the humility of Elvis that made him so amazingly popular and perhaps it is the compassion and empathy of John Boehner that has brought him to this place of prominence in our nation.
A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive