Wednesday, November 18, 2009

So Many Books, So Few Still Read

I'm amazed at the number of books that are being written and the continuing increasing level of illiteracy in our country. Well, and those that can read, that simply do not choose to for various reasons like Cable TV and Gameboys. Now that Sarah is on her book tour and Carrie Prejean has come out with her book, I just can't help but think these books will be used as a segue to higher ambitions. I mean it worked for Barack Obama. I can't say much about those that believe they have a "book in them," just waiting to be written, considering I've happened upon to more than one within the depths of my soul, but what happened to the old days when someone really just wrote for the sake of sharing a concept or idea or just the fire in their bones? It seems so many books are written as a stepping stone. I still read, although not as avidly as I used to, but I really don't have any desire to read these two latest books. I love biographies and non-fiction, but I have a real problem with the premise in which both of these books are presented, and I don't know that there is a category for it yet in the Dewey decimal system. I simply don't want to read about someone that has used their body for a career, talk about their deep spiritual convictions against other's lifestyles, nor do I want to read about someone that leaves her kids home to raise themselves because she still needs attention. I guess, as an author that writes, literally from the fire in my bones, I just can't relate to what seems to be the latest motive for writing; power and money. Writing used to be a part of the world of creativity and inspiration, not politics and commerce. Maybe, just maybe, I'll curl up this evening with a book . . . to read or write.
. . . in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones . . . Prophet of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive