Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just a Few Personal Thoughts

Usually, I have one particular subject that simply must be addressed, and I guess technically, there is a theme to this, but mostly I just wonder "Who do we think we are and what are we doing?" As a nation we're running AMOK! Our economy is tanked, our presumptuous democratic presidential nominee just came back from his world campaign and he truly does bring meaning to the word, presumptuous. Saturdays I don't usually turn on the computer, Sabbath, you know, and frequently I don't even answer the phone until sundown. But we have some very precious grandchildren that call to tell us "Shabbat Shalom," and we hadn't heard from them Friday night, so we answered Saturday thinking it might them. We haven't taken the technological leap to obtain caller ID. ID is another topic that fits this theme, I guess, but that would require far beyond the few sentences per topic for this blog theme. So, Saturday, the phone rang and it was a telemarketing recording. Something about the new funding that was available for our home mortgage through Freddie or Fannie. Isn't that amazing? Senate passed that funding bill just Saturday morning, the President hadn't even signed it and here the telemarketers have already recorded the promotions and offers . . .
We don't discuss business on Sabbath, so we simply hung up on the recording. That isn't rude is it? Freddie or Fannie was already presumptuously offering something that legally wasn't quite available, yet. And Freddie or Fannie was already presumptuously inviting "themselves" into my credit information.
Where is all this governmental presumption coming from? What if I don't want to be in debt and what if I don't want my government to bail out two companies that made bad decisions? What about all the people that paid too much for houses, but they can afford the mortgage for now? Shouldn't they get a bail out too? I mean considering the big mortgage companies couldn't see this coming and didn't give themselves anything to fall back on. Why can't the little guys in the country get the same break?
I've gotten several calls from Obama's campaign committee here locally, as of late, and they keep talking to me like I'm supposed to be at the committee meetings. They literally speak to me like I'm going to vote for him, without question . . .How presumptuous. I told them the Republicans send me republican only literature, like I'm a republican. I'm an independent. Actually, I even ran on the Libertarian ticket, so both of the main parties need to stop presuming.
We've crossed the line ages ago. Presumption, arrogance, pride, and confidence are not all interchangeable words. Confidence does not go in the same category as the other three. We, as Americans need to curb our presumption that the rest of the world or even each other will be "plumb proud" of our arrogance and call it confidence.
In the fear of YHVH is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive