Monday, December 24, 2007

A "Star" . . . the East

I read that Mars is going to be highly visible and quite bright this evening and it "got me thinking." As I read the article and the writer had changed the words to Rudolph, since Mars would be so bright, I thought of shepherds and wise men coming to offer gifts to the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes. And tonight while I look for the brightness in the sky, that is what I will be thinking of. I celebrate Hanukkah, but I do believe the Messiah has come. I don't quite understand that message in America's version of Christmas celebration, however. Yesterday, I spoke with a Christian woman that doesn't celebrate Christmas, but she's going to be with her family tomorrow and she's already told them she won't be bringing gifts. Sounds like a fun guest doesn't it? I don't really believe the Messiah was born on December 25 and I have very compelling evidence to support my belief. The Gregorian calendar didn't exist at the time of his birth, so there was no December 25, that year. I, personally, as do many, believe the Messiah was born in the fall, but Scripture doesn't say specifically, so the date is conjecture at best and it shouldn't be a doctrinal issue for anyone. This same woman proceeded to tell me, she knew it wasn't in December because it can snow in Israel and the shepherds were wearing short sleeves . . . hello? I couldn't find that in Scripture either. I realize it can snow in Israel, the weather there is very similar to the weather where I live in the states, and you know, today, our livestock are out grazing . . . So, who knows?
I didn't buy Christmas gifts and I'm not going to, because I don't know anyone that was born on December 25 and as I used to explain to my daughter when she was young. December 25 isn't her birthday and I don't buy other people gifts on hers. But we have always had a wonderful tradition, and this year will be no different.
We bake a cake, I don't add candles, but we do sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Messiah. I don't believe this is the anniversary of the exact day, but I can't think of a single reason to not celebrate his birth!
Glory to G~d in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2: 14

No comments:

Blog Archive