Friday, June 30, 2006

Rule of Fear

I have not been very happy with our present administration, nor have I applauded our law makers, and the third branch of our government, judiciary; always seems inaccessable and out of touch, so with all that being said, and hopefully, still within the border of free speech, I have decided that I needed to be a bit more compassionate about the situation. I pray for our President and our decision makers, but often, I find myself asking G~d, "how much longer . . .?" or "why can't they see . . .?" and the one that I am finally getting some insight to is "what is he thinking?" And then I was suddenly overtaken with a wave of compassion for the guy. I mean come on, he's waged global war on terrorism, sitting at an all time low in popularity, and an all time high in deficit, and I found myself feeling his pain. What a deal in the middle of my feelings about his presidency. He is a fellow baby boomer, after all; he was raised with the same fear mentality the rest of us were. You see, the 50's were a time in which we had everything to fear and our government would protect us. We were told "Communists" wanted to take over everything, and there was the BOMB. In vacation Bible school, we pledged allegience to the flag and the Bible, and I don't have to tell you which was first. We were read Grimm's fairy tales and then told not to be afraid of the dark, our parents would keep us safe. Well, they were the ones reading the books to us. I was one of those kids, whose mom had a horror story for every occasion. I grew up in Kansas and before I was 10 years old, I had been told the true story of "In Cold Blood." I was in the primary elementary grades when I heard the story of J. Paul Getty's grandson. And I was not the exception. I've heard from other boomers, the local horror stories they were told. And we got to hear these while hearing about the wonder years of the previous generation, or how easy we had it, depending upon the age of our parents. And my childhood didn't warrant the same fear or need of protection that I'm sure the wealthier households actually required. This made me realize, the guy grew up with the same fear campaign the rest of us did, only maybe moreso. His family was wealthy. So, he's afraid and when real men from Texas are afraid, they take action. That's why he has the consituency that he has. The boomers that have transferred their fear of Communists to terrrorists, the old ladies that used to be mothers reading bedtime stories and the men that just know something needs to change! Apparently the majority of America is comfortable to be motivated by fear, at least according to the 2004 election results, and he has all those people to answer to.
The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

No comments:

Blog Archive