Sunday, June 04, 2006

Operating on a "Need to Know" Basis

I believe I first heard this criteria in chaplain work. When I was serving as volunteer chaplain for the state hospital and the police department, the term began to be used readily. It basically meant, they appreciated my time, but I should not consider myself privy to anything, other than what was determined by them for me to "need to know." That worked very well for me, as I could not be held responsible for what I didn't know. So, "need to know basis" was the best way to offer some assistance to the people at the mercy of the system while appearing to respect the control issues of the authorities. It worked very well for the time I served, but I have a different opinion when it comes to my rights as a citizen. Now, I realize I'm just a tax payer without a major axe to grind on some tolerance topic, so my rights are limited, but . . . I think what happened last week was just odd, at best. I realize now, we must all be paying for the privilege of operating on a "need to know basis." I had to find out on the "streets" of the internet reading news from other countries. Did you know that the Washington Post reported that General Michael Hayden has been sworn in as the new CIA director, and it was reported in the news in other countries, but CNN and FOX didn't seem to find it newsworthy? Or perhaps, this news didn't meet the "need to know" criteria. I feel, it is my patriotic duty to "need to know" this stuff, or at least have access to it, here in the US. It just makes me wonder how many other matters are just being run through and not mentioned. Well, actually, I believe this takes all the wonder out of it. I would have blogged about this on my usual Friday afternoon, but in my attempt to check my information, I found my computer locked up after my searches for information regarding General Hayden. It seemed that I crossed the line of "need to know." So, will the "need to know basis" be a law of reciprocity? Why does it seem we do not need to know who the new director is, or that General Hayden has become the new director, but our government "needed to know" phone records and obtain warrantless wiretaps. And all of that is within the law. How do we know it's lawful? Because the ones obtaining the records told us it is within the law. Well, I feel the name of the person that has the authority to invade my privacy and the power to enforce all sorts of "lawful" inquests is something I "need to know."
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them,

No comments:

Blog Archive