Monday, January 02, 2006

Well, One War is Over for a Time

Here it is, the second of January 2006. I am getting ready to put away the Hanukkah menorahs. I'm sure Christmas trees are coming down, all the holiday hubbub is calming down and the retailers have inventoried and life is moving on. I was truly troubled by the fact that we in America were actually choosing to find it noteworthy and a point of contention to "fight" over Happy or Merry or Apathy! Some of the complaints and arguments I read about, would make Ebenezer Scrooge sound congenial. First, to all those that do choose to celebrate Christmas. There are Christian denominations that do not celebrate, so it really isn't an evangelical issue, even though many tried to make it one. And to those of us who do not celebrate Christmas. . . Why would we take other people's celebrations as a personal affront? I know, I personally don't care how much someone wants to spend, either economically or emotionally on their festivities, as long as I do not have to fund the endeavor. I say, live and let live, but I really don't think the little babe in a manger arrived December 25. And, I have done some serious soul searching myself, regarding the Feast of Dedication [Hanukkah.] Interestingly, it is recognized as a Jewish holiday, but mentioned Scripturally, only in John's gospel. There is so very little that is spoken of, as far as how we should actally celebrate, even in the books of the Maccabees. So, we once again consider the cultural traditions that are handed down and appreciated, regardless of the holiday we choose to celebrate. Now, to those that do not have religious affiliation at all. Did the festivities really bother you? I didn't think so. Oh, I know, somebody always has to throw a fit about a nativity scene on some government property. Why? It's not like the individual having the "hissy" has to clean up behind the sheep and donkey! How has a country that "prides" itself in tolerance and diversity become so nasty about celebrations? Is there any religion or culture in America, that openly claims to not want peace?
And so, as the retailers live with another let down in holiday spending, and the rest of us are recovering from high stress and weight gain, I'd like to share something. Since none of these festivals and the methods of celebration are actually "etched in stone" what is the big hullabaloo?
Although I do not believe the Messiah was born on December 25, I just love what was said by the angels to the shepherds, on the night of His arrival. It really would be a good thing to say every day.
Glory to G~d in the highest and on earth, peace and good will to men.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mom-I'm at home today, and can't get thru to you. I only have your email at work. I'm hoping this goes to your inbox as well as posting to your blog. You can email me at risforrach@aol(dot)com if you get this right away; Otherwise, CALL ME!!!

As always, great post! I see you are getting some traffic!

Love you. Sorry to take up space here. Feel free to remove it. Just didn't know how else to get through!

Me

Blog Archive