Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Aren't We Getting A Little Close to Playing God?

I am not an advocate of the death penalty. And I am seriously outnumbered in religious circles, but I believe that it is G~d that vindicates. Scripture is very clear about the criteria for capital punishment, and frankly America doesn't meet the qualifications for a nation to utilize that option, according to the Bible. But this particular case really just boggles my mind. I have done a bit of checking to determine the actual cost of an American execution, but to be honest, I find the subject absolutely revolting. We have read the statistics for the cost per year, of maintaining prisoners on death row. And we are all painfully aware of the rising cost of medical treatment, particularly with the elderly. Which brings me to the topic of the blog.
A 76 year old man was executed in California, just moments after his birthday, which I also find beyond odd. He was on death row for 23 years and his last meal could have birthday cake for dessert. Now, he was found guilty of a horrible crime, more than one actually, and this country has capital punishment, so the fact that much of the 23 years was due to appeals was his choice and our money . . . another issue in capital punishment with which I have a problem. The day of finality did seem a bit odd in the puzzle, hoever. And the reason that he petitioned the court, was that basically he was too old for capital punishment. . . too old to die??? His health was in a very deteriorated state, he was blind, deaf, in a wheel chair, and diabetic, and not to sound discompassionate, but once again on the taxpayers bill. The best way to perhaps sum all of this up, would be what a waste. What a waste of a human life to spend so many years on death row. What a waste of a young life that he took. What a waste of three more lives to keep them from testifying. What a waste of countless taxpayer's dollars to appeal and appeal and appeal. But when I read that he had suffered cardiac arrest last September, and was resuscitated, I could not believe what I read. Some doctor actually resuscitated a man that was in health that poor and on death row. Why? And how does that not fit the criteria of cruel and inhumane. To refuse to let a feeble old man die, so that he could be executed 4 months later? I call that cruel and inhumane on every level, and absolutely irresponsible in every aspect of law, government, and the system. Was it someone on a power trip or just no sense at all; or as is so often the case: both?
What is my strength, that I should hope? and what is mine end, that I should prolong my life? Job 6:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AGREE!!

Blog Archive