Sunday, October 13, 2013

Proud?

I remember when Michelle Obama made the following statement.  It is linked to the article.

Michelle Obama: “For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I’m Really Proud of My Country”

 To be honest, there have been a number of times in my adult life that I wasn't so proud of our country, but there have also been stellar moments in which our country used to do the right thing.  To be honest, those times have seemed fewer and farther between for some time now.  I realize some of this lack of pride has been the result of my own research, rather than just accepting what is presented.  A great deal of the change in my perspective, though, is spiritual.

I do not blame Mr. Obama, entirely, for the condition of this country, nor do I credit him.  As a matter of fact, other than force something on me that I don't believe in, he's pretty much not kept his campaign promises, but then he's had exemplary excuses.  The truth of the matter, is, Michelle, and the rest of us, America has been going downhill for years and years.  We sold out to materialism after WWII, and military might has been our claim to fame since the atomic bomb, then a 5 Star General President.  It seems the war-mongering has been a requirement to continue the presence of Super Power.  The materialism has turned into insurmountable debt, though, and having a president that has enjoyed guest status as a child and never had to actually worry about an income isn't helping resolve this problem.

If not being concerned with how things will be paid for is reason to be proud, then I guess Michelle can enjoy her grandstanding . . . and countless vacations, but as someone who is well aware that the fiddler will insist upon being paid, I'd rather not saddle my grandchildren with the debt.

The politicians are the aristocracy of this nation and it seems they've "struck a power deal" to be exempt from what the rest of us deal with because of their decisions.  In the old days, pride was seen as evil and fame and fortune were often equated to having "made a deal with the devil."

Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.  a Proverb of Holy Scripture


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the national debt is ridiculous, and leaving it to our great-grandchildren to pay off is just disgusting.
In reality, though, a huge chunk of that debt is what paid off "too big to fall" corporations. Those same corporations, if taxed at the same level that the "middle class" is, would pay off that debt quite readily.
I believe in pulling myself up by my bootstraps. When the bootstraps break, maybe find a stick to help lever myself out... AND there is a time and place for a community to surround people in need with a leg up. The more centralized that system, the more susceptible it is to being hijacked by the mega-corporations that "own" most of the elected officials through campaign contributions (aka bribes) and beyond.
Decentralizing aid for real needs is key-critical to really being the "father to the fatherless" and "he who gives to the poor," and every other functional, kind human behavior advocated in Torah.
The centralization of it is only the susceptibility, though. It''s not the real evil. The real corruption is in the corporations, insurance companies, banking systems, big pharma, chemical companies (like Monsanto) that supply big pharma with the chemicals they need, and a military-industrial complex that would all be bankrupt, were it not for the policies they "invest in" that bankrupt the US government.
Right wing and Left wing of the same predatory bird are both bought and paid for by the "puppeteers." We need to move beyond the puppets to get real "CHANGE."
Cut the strings, and all of a sudden liberal and conservative have potential to cooperate for functional, merciful progress.

Blog Archive