Monday, May 14, 2012

Defining Moment of Redefining

I read the number for those receiving unemployment has dropped by over 200,000. Unfortunately, it's not due to an increased job market or improved economy. Nothing like that, it's due to the fact that Congress has reduced the 99 week unemployment benefit now to 79 weeks, so that means that over 200,000 people have been unemployed for nearly 2 years and now have no income. While our politicians do everything they can to keep themselves employed, the job creators have not yet surfaced. Oh, I know, there are the same number of "jobs" created, as unemployment benefits that were dropped. Isn't that just an interesting coincidence? But the jobs created are not on par with the ones that have gone away and aren't coming back. Our President announced that he is now pro-gay marriage, because his daughters have friends who have same sex parents . . . Great! So is the direction of our country now being decided in home room and study hall? Also, an interesting coincidence is the fact that Mitt Romney has been reported to have bullied a kid in high school that was presumed gay. All this "coming out" in the same week. And yet there are people in this country who cannot see the politicizing of people's lives is dividing our country. Now, the alleged victim is deceased and I would love to know the political leanings of the guilt ridden parties who now feel the need to come forward. I'm not condoning bullying or mistreating kids, but High School for Mitt Romney was nearly 50 years ago. Have all these guys been living comfortably with their guilty consciences until now? Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the pro-man/woman marriage folks are in an uproar. I, personally, believe in separation of church and state, so for everyone that believes marriage is a religious sanction, don't get a state license. If I'd known then, what I know now, I would have simply had a religious ceremony, changed my name, and drawn up the appropriate paperwork to share property, or perhaps I'd have made a different decision, all together . . . but I wouldn't seek state sanction in marriage, any more. I know from experience, legal union, civil union, "I do's," whatever you want to call it, does not automatically command respect in anyone's circle of influence. I'm not happy with the direction of America, but then again, it's already been written. I don't like the fact that my grandchildren are growing up in a world that is constantly redefining things. The more our society talks about tolerance, the more hateful we have become. The more we've heard about putting America back to work, the more I know we will soon be slave labor to other nations. The war on drugs has made our nation first in the number of prisoners per capita in the entire world. The war on terror has made terrorizing small children and old ladies at the air port completely acceptable. And in protecting our children from predators, how many children are now being labelled sex offenders? The sad thing is, there are a number of people in this country who truly believe their vote counts and that will make all the difference. Considering everything else that's been redefined, I'm guessing free elections are bought and paid for, long before November. But "they" just keep telling us what we need to believe.
Where there is much talk there will be no end to sin . . . a Proverb of Holy Scripture

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Entirely possible.
...and we keep working and building and healing anyway.

Blog Archive