Friday, March 02, 2012

Purgatory

I'm not Catholic and to be honest, I've had a real revelation about referencing the term "hell," but yesterday, I discovered that we really do need some sort of intense, extreme term to describe our effort, endurance, and attempt to remain sane through what can only be described as insurmountable odds, especially in regard to communications. I no sooner had an horrendous experience with online banking, read about how the Smart Phones have already outsmarted us, I then discovered that someone can remain anonymous on the other end of the phone or our online connection, and ask for every pertinent detail of my identity and financial information, only to leave the situation over an hour later, still unresolved, and well actually in worse condition than when I first made the inquiry. I attempted to straighten out a PayPal account yesterday. After several minutes of muzak, an "agent" came on the line who said he could "walk me through" what I was trying to accomplish. I'm sure, you can already see where this is going. I had one paypal account as an author and one business account, and then the bank said I needed two different accounts there, so . . . My original thought was to combine the two paypal accounts, which of course, cannot be done. My next thought was to add the bank business account to both PayPal accounts and just move the money to the bank, wait the proper number of days and once it had all cleared, delete one account. Well, my "agent" did not see this as the simple way to resolve the dilemma, and so I'd speak with him for a bit, he'd put me on hold for awhile, then we'd speak a bit more, then more hold. He finally stated he had a plan to resolve this entire dilemma and that's when the trouble really began. Once he realized he'd dug a hole way to deep to climb out of, he told me he'd bring in someone from another arm of PayPal. You have probably all ready guessed it. By the time the phone ringing stopped, the muzak was quiet, and I heard a voice on the other end of the line, the "agent's" line had been dropped in the transfer. I had the unexpected privilege of speaking with two globally diverse voices that both refused to reveal the name of the individual that initiated the call and they both informed me that what I was asking simply could not be done and I needed to allow them to explain to me just what my options might be. Knowing any hope of resolution was already gone . . . I listened and just waited for them to tell me to have a nice day. Which they did after a time and no resolution. I then dialed back to PayPal, after sitting rather impatiently through the prompts, I decided filing a claim or making a complaint would be my best option. I finally got a voice that sounded rather friendly, but adamant, but she did offer a solution that seemed reasonable. So, I did ask for e-mail confirmation, after realizing the hour of speaking with three people earlier produced absolutely no results and no correspondence. She promised she would send "something" and told me how I could cancel this ridiculous card that I had never applied for. So, with that, I decided to take her word for it and believe resolution had finally been accomplished. My conversation with her had last less than 30 minutes. So I then called the number she'd given me to avoid any of this complication again. That was an interesting phone call. I walked through the prompts and never once spoke with a human at all . . . I have survived and been delivered from PayPal Purgatory and will do everything in my power to never have to experience that again.
I won't be including a reference from Scripture today, because Purgatory is not mentioned in the Bible.

No comments:

Blog Archive