Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Complaining About . . . or Noticing the Food

I'm not usually one to complain about food. I enjoy a good meal, especially with delightful company. Today is not the day I'll blog about the silence married people dine in, but rather this is about fresh veggies. Our heirloom corn did not do well this year, at all, so when I saw the sweet corn my husband likes, on sale at the market, I picked up half a dozen ears. It was beautiful, pristinely near perfect, as a matter of fact. The appearance was "too good to be true." And it was. I shucked it, and prepared it as usual, but when I bit into it, I couldn't believe it. Sweet corn was an understatement. It literally tasted as if it was already syrup. I mean no disrespect to the KARO syrup makers, because they clearly label their product and you know that's what you're buying. With USDA, Farm subsidies and CRP grants, and so much of our food now containing high fructose corn syrup, I just have to wonder if the high fructose has not gotten higher . . . While I'm on the topic of corn, with so much of it being lost to drought, I mentioned to a friend last week that I really was concerned that even in rain abundant Nebraska and Iowa, that that crop could be lost to too much rain.
The field is wasted, the land mourneth; for the corn is wasted . . .

No comments:

Blog Archive