Monday, April 25, 2011

My Aha Moment!

I think we are all well aware of our light coming on, when we suddenly see something new in something we've been looking at all along. Well, last night, I had one of those moments while watching "the Ten Commandments." I'm not a big fan of watching the screen, but every year, I watch this movie, and do my best to stay awake for four hours and pay attention. The movie is not boring by any means. It's colorful, it's truly full of Scripture, and it's exceedingly meaningful, I'm just not good at watching movies. Yet I digress . . . Last night as I watched the dramatization portion of the movie, which although is not found in Exodus, per se, much of the conversation consisted of Scripture, found mostly in the New Testament. What I realized last night was the fact that indeed Moses had access to the throne of Egypt, from within. Although he was born to Hebrew slaves, he was raised the son of Pharaoh's daughter. Most of us know the account of Pharaoh's horrendous edict to kill all the baby boys, so Moses' mother placed him in a basket and it floated down the Nile on the day of the Princess's bath. She opened the basket and claimed the baby, and raised him as her own. Now, the point I saw here, was Moses was already in the palace. He could have been politically correct or lobbied or whatever our terms would be now, to change things from within and by his earthly governmental power, but that's not at all how the account reads. So, as I saw that, I fast forwarded to our current messes, because last year I realized Yul Brenner, in his role, reminded me of President Obama. I mean same expressions, everything! As I considered my observation, I realized, whether we have religious lobby organizations, or so called conservative Christians in office, it's not going to change the direction of the country. There is no Scriptural account in which to base this religious tradition that has developed in Washington DC. I realize some will use the example of Esther to say G-d changed the politics and the outcome. Again, G-d saved His people, but the Medo-Persian empire was not changed, nor was it preserved. Egypt was not changed by a religious leader from within. The Medo-Persian Empire did not destroy the Jews, but did itself fall to another empire. As this next election cycle rolls around, I can now clearly see. I am not suggesting an Exodus, but just making the observation that the religious attempts to challenge and bring change from within are not found in Scripture.
. . . unto Pharaoh's daughter, and he became her son. And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water . . . Now Moses . . . came to the mountain of God, even to Horeb . . . G-d called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses . . . Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.

No comments:

Blog Archive