Monday, December 10, 2018

Absolutely Ridiculous

This blog has been idle for awhile now.  Being a-political in such a politically divisive climate, silence seemed the best plan for a time.  I've been working on other writing projects, but I just took a break from politics.  G.W. was just beginning his second term when I began this blog.  I didn't agree with a number of his decisions, but I felt the freedom to openly write my perspective, even when I disagreed.

The Obama administration really slowed down my blogging, as I would have obviously lost my a-political objective.  I was doing radio through some of his administration and the pressure against free speech was gaining strength.  I stayed busy writing in other areas, doing my best to keep a few things actually in print, as digital history can be changed with the click of a mouse.  I knew 2012 was the last election as we'd known them, and 2016 proved to be an election like none we'd seen before.

I didn't participate in the actual election, and as is repeated ad nauseam, "if you don't vote, you can't complain."  Fair enough, I'm not really even going to talk about the current administration, but I've got plenty say about our digital media.  As a writer, I believe genuine news articles should not read like an article from the Enquirer.  There is entirely too much bias as well as too many extraneous, irrelevant details or comparisons; while pertinent information seems often omitted.  Most news articles seem to focus on "the potential wedge," then proceed to build an article around it.     

The perfect example to remain true to my a-political perspective are the recent articles of the Christmas decorations in the White House.  Melania receives very poor treatment from some of the media.  I'm guessing there are some female executives in the newsroom that are just green with envy.  If she was the other party, she'd be the media's darling and on the front of every magazine.  Melania Trump is a beautiful woman, clearly with her own style, which she wears well.  So why are the headlines usually so negative and the magazines so silent?  I can't speak for anyone else, but it really does come across as jealousy.

I didn't vote for her husband . . . I didn't vote against him, either.  I also don't celebrate "Christmas," but what in the world?  Was it just a slow news day or is the media really as negatively programmed as it would seem?  The following headline was on my Yahoo news page, and according to Google, a couple of other news sites picked up the story and ran it as well.  To actually write an article about negative social media comments while providing quote after quote, I think exceeds the gossip mag/rags.  A "news article" with the focus being: twitter comments!

Melania Trump slammed for showing off 'historically ludicrous' Christmas decor while children are tear-gassed at border: 'What a great way to start the holiday season'



Why the big hoop-ti-la over Melania decorating the White House for Christmas?  Then to bring together the issue at the border with Christmas decorating seems like a real stretch.  America is a war-mongering nation!  Historically speaking, America has been at peace less than 20 years since it's founding, yet the White House has been decorated and Washington DC continues to hold gala events through the years, regardless of military action.  Nobody faulted Lady Bird for decorating for Christmas while the men of my generation were dying in Viet Nam!  The Johnson girls and the Nixon girls all had beautiful weddings through their father's presidencies which also included years of war. Actually, Julie Nixon's wedding took place between his election and his inauguration, but her sister's wedding took place in the Rose Garden.

This disrespect toward Melania is just wrong, and her response in just rising above it, makes her look that much better.  Nobody faulted Nancy Reagan for inviting Jean Dixon to the White House or for decorating for Christmas while her husband did everything he could to avoid the Middle East.  And while we're at it . . . we've been in Iraq and Afghanistan since just after the turn of this century, but the media didn't attack the Obamas for holiday decorating and the media was very supportive of the rainbow lighting on the White House . . . while we were at war with Isis.  I realize there were some negative remarks made about Michelle Obama, but she has been generally treated well by media and was on more than one magazine cover. 

I can't remember a time when America was so disrespectful toward a First Lady.

I feel badly that there are children caught in this battle of the border, but that is not Melania's fault. That fault lies at the feet of their parents.  If you're going to do something illegal, don't bring your children and don't use them as a human shield.  How hard is that?  If I was going to commit some sort of felony, I wouldn't have my child in the get-away car.  If someone is "brave enough" to break our immigration laws, then why not use that courage to change their own country?  To disregard our border is a choice these people, reportedly, have much time to consider and reconsider.  Forcing one's way into a country is not called seeking asylum or immigration, it's called:  invasion.

Cursed be he that removeth his neighbour's landmark. And all the people shall say, Amen.  Torah of Holy Scripture


No comments:

Blog Archive