Thursday, March 14, 2013

Taking Care of Business

I'm in an unusual place in life and I think I'm about ready to enjoy another aspect of simplicity, which I'll cover on one of my other blogs, but it involves the Postal Service, or I should say the lack of service and the apparent inability or unwillingness to do anything about it. It seems when they receive a complaint at the counter, they already have it in writing, that they can do what they want. I mean there are nit-picky rules even pertaining to the closing of the mailbox. Did you know, that if the mail person makes an attempt to close the door, but it comes open, it is in writing, there is no obligation to try to close the mail box again. I find this particularly annoying, yet humorous in a postal sort of way. My neighbors are kind enough to close the mailbox door when they go by and so far, every one of them has reported it closing first time, every time it's open, which is right after mail delivery. One time was particularly humorous in that there was actually a note in the mail box from the mail carrier explaining that she didn't have time to re-close the door . . . Perhaps she was too busy writing the note . . .
So, as the USPS puts themselves out of business, I can't really say I have much pity for them. Perhaps if they had been taking care of business instead of micro-managing what they don't have to do, they wouldn't be failing financially. Considering the customer service I had been receiving, I'd just as soon get prompts on the phone. At least with prompts, I get a feeling of getting somewhere . . .
Interestingly, there is a person at the Post Office who actually answered the phone and when they found out there were pictures of crumpled wet mail and an open mailbox with mail in it, she wanted to see the pictures. She was very courteous, very nice and seemingly very helpful, but . . . there is obviously policy out of her control.
She gave her email and I assured her, I would send the pictures to her, before posting this blog. I tried.

Are you ready for what I found in my Inbox this morning?

I've changed a couple of the details of the addresses but you get the picture . . .

This is the mail system at host samtca.zzz.srvs.usps.gov.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

: message size 16499108 exceeds size limit 10485760


So, it would seem, the USPS isn't so easy to reach even by e-mail and snail mail, well . . . There is a big difference between program capability and a willingness to work toward a solution. KUDOS to the lady who answers the phone and has to listen to the complaints of others who will not work toward problem resolution.

I sent back another response and told this individual I'd simply send her the blog link so they can see the pictures. She graciously responded favorably and informed me she will open the link upon receipt. So with that, I feel I can go ahead and post this blog.


Back to the original point. I realize with a life of simplicity, yet technology in reach, I can find out the amount of my bill for electricity and I pay it in person anyway, and as for my online business, that goes through PayPal, so basically the USPS has caused and proven their own obsoletion.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might . . . Holy Scripture

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hilarious that there's a mail box IDENTICAL to yours just 3 mailboxes down, which is never left open. Weird huh?

Anonymous said...

I have worked for UPS, and they have everything you do timed down to the second for better "efficiency". I am sure the postal service has had the same type of job evaluations done. customer service is not part of the time efficiency surveys. =(

Blog Archive