Monday, February 11, 2013

USPS

I've had my eye on the US Postal Service for some time now, because, to be honest, I just smelled a rat at the inception of the "forever stamp." I made the comment to someone, "How long will it be, before we just don't even know what stamps are costing?" As for myself, I just happened to find out a few days before, inadvertently, that mail went up again in January. I thought there was a specific time or month that increases took place, but that may have just been too many years ago to actually verify. Whatever I think I remember, I'm sure has been revised by now, anyway. Revisionism is a topic for another day, I'll get back to the subject at hand.
If I were given to conspiracy theories, I'd also begin thinking that card makers are "cahootzing" with the USPS because every card I've tried to send as of late requires extra postage. I made that comment at the Post Office, made a few more observations with some of the other folks standing around, then remembered it might be unwise to irritate a Postal employee.
Now, here is my actual point. I am thrilled and have been praying for some time now that the Postal Service would stop Saturday mail delivery, and they have determined it would help their budget to do just that. I've known for a long time, money earned or spent on Sabbath does not help anything, actually, just like the Post Office has determined, working on Sabbath costs money and hinders the budget. I can't explain it, but it's true. G-d said to set the Sabbath apart to rest and be holy, and all I can say is if He says it, we should do it. If He says, don't work, and He has, then any amount of effort we expend will be futile. He said not to work on Sabbath. I'm just wondering if the budget of the Post Office will improve by this decision. I know a great deal of the USPS expense is the health care of their retirees. Perhaps this next generation of retirees will have better health for not working on Sabbath.
I know, and this is going to sound a bit quirky, but that's who I am. I never send any mail on Friday, so I won't cause someone else to work on Sabbath. I've even wondered about Thursday, which is why I started praying about it; and now the problem is solved.
I still don't have an answer to my first question about "forever stamps" which was also to a Postal employee, the very first time I purchased one. He assured me, that stamp would be good "forever" no matter how many postal increases took place. My question was a bit more "down to earth." I asked him if he was sure the USPS would be in business forever . . .
Working Sabbath is a very good way to get bad results.
Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the Sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. Prophet of Holy Scripture

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

|
|
|

Blog Archive