Wednesday, February 06, 2013

I'm Really Trying to Follow Along Here

We all saw or read or participated in the Chick-Fil-A controversy this summer. As a business woman, I've given thought to this as we are really arguing against some very basic freedoms and I'm not quite sure how to stop the unnecessary momentum. First, Chick-Fil-A has changed some of it's donation organizations. Chick-Fil-A got a day of extra customers, but there was also the kiss-in or kiss-out or whatever it was called, and the ongoing gay boycott. I just read an article the other day in which the gay reporter stated they had not been to Chick-Fil-A since the uproar, but in learning about the change of donation policy had stopped for a half and half sweet tea. The end of the article said, they didn't know if they would go back to eating at Chick-Fil-A or not. The tea just left a not so sweet taste or something . . . So another win for the gay community, I guess.

As an openly straight female, I can tell you, I really don't care who is sleeping with whom, but I do have a problem with the whole concept of tolerance becoming so pushy and intolerant.

I just read an article that said a bakery in Oregon refused to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. The lesbian couple went to the Attorney General. Now call me silly, and many have called me worse, but if someone didn't want my business that is their choice and their loss. What's with all the pushing the agenda? For all you gay people that someone called a bad name, I'm sorry, but I've been called bad names too. For all you gay folk that think some people are wrong in the way they feel about homosexuality, well this is still a free country. You should hear what people say about my lifestyle! There are a lot of things I don't have to be comfortable with or approve of, for people to continue to freely exercise their freedom. I don't have to change my political views or religious views because my views disagree with the views of another. And if I'm willing to put my business behind my beliefs, what's that to someone who is coming out to stand up for their beliefs and rights?

Sexual judgment is a favorite here in America, and truthfully, the Bible has quite a bit to say about all of our various "styles" of sinning and the choices we choose to justify and insist that others accept.

Here's the deal folks. The Bible is clear about homosexuality. Believe it or don't. The Bible is clear about divorce and remarriage. Believe it or don't. The Bible is clear about adultery and fornication. Believe it or don't. I didn't write it and I didn't always choose to believe it or obey it. Now I do, and I had to ask forgiveness and change some of my ways, and I know I'm not giving an account for the choices of another. I'm tired of hearing how no one understands each individual's sexuality. Clearly when it comes to some sort of protest or boycott, suddenly individuality is not so important. I'm not saying anyone has to believe what I believe, but someone else shouldn't have the right to belittle my beliefs, either.

I have an odd little insight here, that I'm going to share. I've been called some pretty ugly things over my beliefs and before I was walking in my beliefs. I didn't used to have this perspective, but I've learned the name calling and disrespect reflects on the name caller, not the recipient. As for religious views or sexual orientation, to each his own, but in a free society, if we are going to maintain a free society, people, all people; should be able to choose where and how they spend their money, donate their money, and with the company they prefer to keep.

I may be odd here, but I wouldn't want such an important day as my wedding, and I've had several, so I know of what I speak. I wouldn't want a cake or anything contributed or even furnished at a cost by someone who wasn't wishing me well.
I think it's time for everyone to quit hollering intolerance every time someone has a different opinion or chooses to take a stand. As always, if you don't like the customer service, don't buy their product. If you don't want to participate in an event, don't go. If you don't like the charities a business donates to, don't give them your money, but for crying out loud, if all you want to do is force accommodations of your lifestyle on someone else, you're making homosexuality as much like an annoying religion as the Westboro Baptist Church.

As it turns out, the G-d of the Bible calls a number of things abominations, as it appears in Scripture over 140 times . . . so truthfully no one needs a social tolerance pass. We just need to stop fighting over each other's "right" to commit them, and giving up our freedom to stifle the freedom of another.

No comments:

Blog Archive