Sunday, September 07, 2014

Really, Now . . .

The baby boomers are apparently the most powerful generation to have ever lived, as we are blamed for all the ills in the world today.  As an aging boomer, my newly discovered perspective is gaining momentum in my life.  Recently there was an article stating that this latest generation of gamers, is the fault of the Boomers!  I wish I could type an apathetic shrug, but, the "eye roll guy" will also work to convey my heartfelt responsibility.  Every generation is a product of their "raising," yet the Boomers have been the catchall blame generation from both ascending and descending generations.  

                      
>>>Some boomers with less cash at their disposal made up for it through helicopter parenting and undeserved flattery that exaggerated their kids’ abilities. A whole generation now bears the hollow self-esteem and inflated expectations that come from weak parenting. <<<

I did that, I admit it.  I didn't do the helicopter parenting, because that's the way I was raised, but I did a great deal of undeserved flattery and the exaggerated self-esteem is evident!  I didn't mean to do it, but as it turns out, I tired to do just the opposite of what my "silent generation" parents did.  I didn't want my daughter to feel as inferior about herself, as I did.  My adopted children who did not have my influence through their formative years don't have the same exaggerated self-esteem, so my "boomer blame" is definitely deserved, in that area!  As for debt and social security, no.  

I was one of the few boomers that never really sold out to the establishment, although I did try to swim in mainstream for a bit, it just didn't work out for me.  I've been living debt free and simply for nearly 20 years and broke and poor before that!  The last of the American inheritances are going to long term care for the Greatest Generation!  In the past twenty years, I've made provisions intending to leave an inheritance, as well as working until I die.  With the economy what it is, we may all be working til we die and who knows if dollars will even be worth the monopoly money it is now.  I don't believe in collecting social security.  According to Torah and confirmed in Paul's writings, the parents are to provide for the children and social security operates in diametrical opposition.

In our family, the generations are so close together, the defining lines truly blur.  My parents were teens when I was born, and I was also a teenaged mother . . .  At 56 years of age, I still have a grandma living, and I am a great grandma, 
so . . . the beat goes on.  My parents arrived right before WWII, so they are among the youngest of the silent generation.  I've never met anyone of the silent generation who isn't quite vocal and opinionated on everything, and especially opinionated on the subject of baby boomers.  The boomers were blamed for everything that went wrong in the sixties . . . and the seventies . . . right on up to the millennials. 

 Actually, we could play this blame game farther back, if you consider, the fact that the Boomers didn't exactly just crawl out from under rocks and ruin the world!   Why we could blame the people who raised us, and they could blame the people who raised them . . . and you know, we could go all the way back and blame Adam and Eve!

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.  Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive