Friday, March 07, 2008

Money Can't Buy a Good Connection . . .

I'm sure there are politicians and business men all over, that already know this, but I had to learn it the hard way. Due to the lousy phone service we have outside of the city limits, at least that's what we've been told is the problem, we went to satellite service nearly a year ago for the computer. Now, there was more than one red flag about this deal, but being the persistent, tenacious individual that I am, I pursued my endeavor until I got a Wild Blue satellite dish and Wild Blue service. The day of the installation was memorable in that the installers got all finished, entered their special code, only to discover Wild Blue no longer recognized them as Wild Blue installation technicians. Hummmmmm . . . and here we've got a dish on the roof and a cable hole in the floor. Well, they went through their "channels" until I was up and running. Oh, did I mention I have a two year contract? I don't know, but I'm sure, even though Wild Blue has rearranged and revamped all of my connections, I'm guessing they still own the rights to the fine print of the contract. One of the last messages I got in my Incredimail inbox was the little notice from Wild Blue that the Google connection was ready to go. That was the 20 something of February. I've had my Incredimail account for years, rather let me say, I had my account for years. It's moved with me through different servers, different addresses, dial up to satellite, but the Wild Blue Google connection has separated me from the pretty stationery and fun little animated creatures of Incredimail. Ah, but this tale of woe gets even sadder. I began trying to reach Wild Blue about the problem, and even got live chat once, only to be dismissed with the promise that they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed soon. Next, I called the number, because I can't find my old Wild Blue portal page anymore, something else comes up there now, and after responding properly to all the prompts, I got a person that said he could no longer help with tech support, because the new business arrangements had removed technical repair from his equipment. He gave me a new number, and I once again went through the proper prompts to get this great recorded message that states, due to the high call volume, I need to call back in a few hours. I still have no private e-mail, but I can access my mail through the Internet account. And that got me thinking. The communications companies all willingly let the government have their records without worrying about our privacy, only their need for law suit protection. This new plan appears to alleviate that invasion of privacy concern and resolve their need for protection. Here I am, a year later, still dealing with AT&T, only now they not only get my money for a bad phone connection, they also get my money for a satellite connection that has now placed my personal e-mail on the world wide party line. I remember when AT&T used to brag about being the only one in town, but they tried not to act like it. So, now there this AT&T, Wild Blue, Yahoo, Google, etc. conglomerate. "They" are the big corporation and I am the mere insignificant consumer, and they do act like it!
Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud. a Proverb of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive