Thursday, October 07, 2010

I Hope this Makes it All Over the Country

I don't really know how to start a grass roots movement and I'm not the most proficient in organizing groups, but yesterday's Supreme Court case has me on a mission. I'm torn between being sick and tired of people that use religion or politics to be mean and I don't want our government to take away or amend the 1st Amendment for our own protection. As most everyone in the country is aware, Fred Phelps and his family claim to be a church with a message. Well, it's certainly a message of hate, but it's a bit trickier than that. By people trying to quiet Fred Phelps and his family, we are really at a point of realizing our own right to assemble, speak freely and keep Congress from making laws regarding religion could be in jeopardy with this one person. It is my humble opinion that the very force of hell could use Fred to cause laws to change that would quiet the rest of us, as well. As much as my heart hurts for these grieving families, we can't let this happen. Here is what I propose.
In order to truly honor our troops, when there is a fallen soldier in your community even if you never met the person, and don't know the family, go stand in the gap between this group and the grieving family. The Patriot Riders have done this in many places throughout the country, as a group and my husband and I have done it, simply as concerned citizens. The protesters have to remain at a certain distance and the rest of the general public can attend the service, or as we have opted, simply stand on the sidewalk between the funeral home and the protesters. Granted, we may not overshadow Fred and company, but it does let the fallen soldier's family know somebody cares. Considering the price the soldier paid and the burden of grief their family will bear, a few hours out of a single day is not that great of price, to honor our troops and defend our freedom.
If this is something upon which you agree, please copy and paste or forward or send the link to everyone on your contact list . . .
. . . a time to mourn . . . Ecclesiastes

No comments:

Blog Archive