Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Shades of Perspective

As I sit here getting ready to blog my last for the week, I think . . . my mind has wandered to just how many issues are viewed from opposite perspectives, depending of course, on one's religious persuasion and or ancestry.
I read an interesting perspective by Ruben Navarette, Jr. regarding NY driver's licenses for the illegals. He of course was for it, with some very interesting arguments, and he is Hispanic or whatever the PC term is for someone of his blood line. I loved the point he made, and he used several examples to prove his point. His point, virtually was, we need to legalize what is already being done illegally. Well, now, how far could we go with that line of thinking? Just one more opportunity to demonstrate just how disrespectful the illegal immigrants are of this nation's laws. Legalize, illegal activities. Bet the Mafia would have appreciated his argument on their behalf. Of course, there is always something in the headlines that is racial regarding African Americans. I, personally believe that any color of people or race that believes they are deserving of special treatment or special status is racism. Granted, the pendulum certainly swung toward the European bloodlines for a number of years, but swinging to the opposite extreme is not eradicating racism, it is simply changing the complexion of racism. I have known several professional men, that also happened to be black, and they have made reference to unfair treatment in the past, but I've never heard a black professional attribute their success or achievement in the business world to the color of their skin.
And of course, there is now the fact, that for twenty years, middle aged, middle class white guys have no special treatment and no recourse for that fact, and that is "shaded" from their perspective. It would seem, long before the recognition of so-called equal rights, they lost their standing, but it wasn't until feminism actually had a label that they realized it.
And I also have a perspective from both my religion and my heritage. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, I celebrate Sukkot, which is a time set aside in Scripture to give thanks each year, for the bountiful harvest and take note of G~D's provision. I don't have any idea why the Puritans had to establish their own time of thanks, when the G~D of the Bible had already designated the time. And, from a Native American perspective, I really don't see any reason to celebrate the fact that my ancestors kept some half starved, half sick, European wanna be's alive long enough to become the aristocracy here, that they couldn't be in Europe. Of course, we all know how the rest of that story has gone . . .
Isn't everyone's perspective shaded by color and/or envisioned by their religious ideals?
You are not to be moved in your judging by a man's position . . . Torah of Holy Scripture

No comments:

Blog Archive